Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2013 22:00

Problems with Dell Inspiron 14z N411z

I bought my computer back in August for College.  The past month it has turned off suddenly without warning.   I thought it may be overheating, so I purchased a cooling mat a week after it started.  However, the problem has grown more frequent.

I updated my BIOS, and preformed a system check, however the problem persists more frequent than ever.

I'm beginning to wonder if a DELL laptop was the right choice.  If you have any helpful advice or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 8th, 2013 22:00

Hi Taylor16t,

I understand it could be upsetting not to be able to use the computer. Let's try the following steps:

Clean the air vents of the computer.

Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Unplug the AC Adapter.
  • Remove the Battery.
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Alternatively, run the diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.

To run ‘Dell Diagnostics’:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

I would also recommend you to observe the computer in BIOS:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the BIOS screen, wait on the BIOS screen for few minutes and check of the system shuts down

Please reply if you have any questions.

7 Posts

January 8th, 2013 23:00

This is not a overheating issue, my vents are clear and I am using a cooling mat.  My system is not hot during the shut off.

I have ran the Diagnostics from the boot menu earlier today, and had all systems pass with no errors.  I also updated the system drivers, and BIOS. The problem still persists.

I have done as you requested and observed my system in the BIOS screen, and the computer did not shut off after 5 minutes of observation.

I would like to resolve the issue with as little trouble as possible.   If this is a know issue, perhaps there are other solutions?

Thank you for your time and patience, as we try to resolve the issue with the dell system.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 00:00

Hi Taylor16t,

Thank you for the response. Are you able to use the laptop on the battery? Is the battery charging properly? Check the message by hovering the mouse on the battery icon on the task-bar (plugged in,charging / plugged in,not charging).
Please check the Adapter port for any loose connection. I would recommend you to check the computer for more time in BIOS (approx < 1 hr).

Please reply with the findings.

7 Posts

January 9th, 2013 20:00

Yes, the battery is charged and I have no issues with the battery life.  The shutting off still persist often when plugged in and charged.

I checked the bios for over 2 hours and did not experience any trouble.

Yet, i still have this issue occuriing and will continue to seek help in getting this resolved.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi Taylor16t,

Thank you for the response. It does not seem to be hardware issue since the system did not shut down in BIOS. I would need few more details to assist you further.

* Do you see any lights on the system after the system shuts down?
* Does it shut down while using any specific application?
* Does the system restart immediately after the shut down?

I would also suggest you to check the system in 'Safe Mode with Networking':

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap 'F8' key on Dell logo 2-3 times
  • This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode with Networking’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘Enter’ to select)
  • When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode with Networking, check the computer for approx < 1 hr if it shuts down

Please reply if you have any questions.

7 Posts

January 10th, 2013 15:00

My laptob shuts off more frequently when playing a game.  There are no lights and no restart after it shuts off.

I have been playing this game for a while now and not until recently did my computer start to shut while playing.

There was no shut downs on Safe mode with networking.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 11th, 2013 02:00

Hi Taylor16t,

Thank you for the response. It seems to be a software issue. I would suggest you to update the video drivers and the BIOS of the computer. Here are the links:

BIOS: http://dell.to/VP2EVv (version A06)
Video: http://dell.to/Opd5z9 (Windows 7)
            http://dell.to/VX2ZVk  (Windows 8)

Before updating the video driver, uninstall the driver from Device Manager:

• Click on Start
  • Right click on Computer -> click on Properties
  • Click on Device Manager
  • Expand ‘Display Adapters’
  • Right click on the video card option -> choose ‘Uninstall’
  • Restart the computer

Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged
*Battery charger should be connected
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

January 21st, 2013 21:00

I updated my BIOS and my video Drivers, following all your listed steps.  My computer shuts down less frequently, however the problem still persists.

What do you recommend for the next step?

My computer is still like new, I haven't added any additional software or hardware to my system since I received it.  I have in no way damaged the computer through accident or tampering.  

I believe this to be a dell/Microsoft issue, and would like it resolved as soon as possible.

Thank You,

Taylor

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 00:00

Hi Taylor16t,

Thank you for the response. Since the issue persists, then it is advisable to perform PC restore, which means taking the computer back to factory defaults.

Note: We would advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, videos, and documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

The above steps are for Windows 7 re-installation. You may refer to the link http://dell.to/VpM12n 

You may refer to the link if you are using Windows 8 operating system http://dell.to/VhgFzY

Hope this helps.

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 14:00

I have exactly the same issue.

This is what I did to resolve it.

1. Downgraded BIOS to A00.

2. Changed the power options. Advanced Settings. Processor power management. Maximum processor state >>98%. This disabled the turbo boost.

So not sure what exactly helped, but it looks that issue is resolved.

7 Posts

February 9th, 2013 22:00

The shut off has gotten so much worse now.  Every time I turn it on, it turns off within a minute.  If it does turn on, it turns off within an hour.  I've had it examined by a IT professional, they found no issues with the software, or drivers.  They concluded it to be a hardware issue.

Please help me, can Dell look at the computer?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

February 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi Taylor16t,

Thank you for your response. Did you try to perform PC restore on your computer? If not , I would suggest you to perform PC restore.

Note: This step leads to complete data loss from the computer. We would advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, videos, and documents). Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

If you system has Windows 7 operating system. please follow the steps mentioned in this link http://dell.to/VpM12n 
Please refer to the link if you are using Windows 8 operating system http://dell.to/VhgFzY 

Hope this helps.

1 Message

May 27th, 2013 01:00

You're not the one who can't use their Dell inspirion 14z n411z laptop without it shutting off randomly. I sent my computer into Dell to be worked on. Supposedly they replaced the fan and heatsink. It no longer overheats, but it still randomly shuts off. I ran a diagnostic (f-12 at startup) and the test came back as 'ok.' The vents and fan appear to be clear and functional. I did a google search and this seems to be a common problem with Dell laptops.

1 Message

May 10th, 2014 07:00

hi, 

Greetings of the day!,

This is jv .recently i have faced one problem my laptop battery fail are not i dont know with out plugin it is not processing but i want conformation how to check  it  battery 

Note:when i opened the laptop displaying one error message that is your battery is exparied please replace battery continue f1 key or f2 key

my laptop parches ed one and of yer 

No Events found!