Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

MS

3 Posts

January 27th, 2009 16:00

Recording Lectures

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to video and audio record university (college) lectures? Even audio only will be ok. I got a better sound card from dell just so i could do this when i purchased the laptop. If there is any software please can anyone tell me i would like to purchase it.

Also is it possible to have backlight on the keyboard e.g if i am working at nite without light so is this feature supported in the xps m1530??

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 17:00

I can't answer the video and backlight questions, but to record just audio you need a recording program. The basic one that comes with Windows is called Windows Sound Recorder. A popular free one is Audacity.

I would also be interested in hearing how folks use their laptops to video record lectures, particularly if it is awkward to turn the laptop so that the camera faces the lecturer, and how long the batterey lasts during recording.

January 27th, 2009 18:00

umm well the lecture rooms can be vary from 100-300 students so do u think audacity can record through all that?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 27th, 2009 20:00

The answer has to do with the sensitivity of the microphone you use. I don't know anything about how good the laptop's built-in mics are, but you can buy external mics -- either the kind that plugs into the mic jack or a usb mic -- that are very good and will pickup every sound in a room. But this assumes that the other people in the room are being quiet during the lecture and not talking.

I've bought a couple of computer mics from this place and have been very happy with them. You might get good results also from cheaper mics. I have recorded in a fairly large room with my mics -- not using the computer but with a mini disc recorder (computer mics also work with that type of device). However the computer would have worked as well because it is the mics that are the important part that capture the sound.

You ought to experiment with the built-in mics and see how good they perform before buying anything. If you need an additional mic ask your classmates for recommendations if any of them are recording.

No Events found!