Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2014 11:00

Recovering Data after formatted Hard drive and reinstalled OS using Dell datasafe local backup application

Hello There!!

I am new in the page, so I hope to find someone to help me. Accidentally I had done a human error after a problem with sound in my inspiron N4010 I tried to do a recovery factory but I didn't a backup of all my important files so that I lost all my information now. That I did. I used Dell datasafe local backup application to restore drivers, the hard drive was formatted and re-installed all of the software originally shipping on my computer, this didn't fix the sound problem and the worst using basic Dell Datasafe mode basic. not returned me all files. so that I lost important files. I will be appreciating a lot if someone can post here how can I recover data? what software should I use?  How can I do it? it is possible to recove lost data?

Thanks in advance 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2014 11:00

You can try a free utility such as Recuva, but it's likely to be only partially successful at best.  If you must have the data back, and it's worth the cost, contact a data recovery service - it will likely cost a few hundred dollars but they are the best-chance option for getting the data back.

November 13th, 2014 13:00

Hello EJN63, Thank you very much for your reply. so Is it possible to recover all data after a fromatting and reinstalling recovery factory by dell datasafe application? . Can you tell in case that I use a free utility as Recuva? I am not a expert but I know that I shouldn't install it in the laptop with only one hard drive and one  partition C:/. so If I will install in another laptop or PC desk the utility, How Is it suppossed that I can access to the hard drive in the damaged laptop without initialize the OS. no idea How I can see the hard drive from another laptop. To contact a data recovery service is more complicated becasue I am not in the united states. In my country does not exist this service so by costs to send my laptop or hard drive it will really very expansive plus the cost for the service. So that  should try to buy recovery software. it is more convenint in this case. But no idea how recovery data without install anyrecovery application in the damaged laptop/  I mentioned this because I have a idea how do it in a PC desk if I connect a hard drive in mode master running the OS and another hard drive configurated as slave to read all data, but in this case I can not setup master/slaves because it is a laptop.  

Can you provide instruction please?  

8 Posts

December 1st, 2014 03:00

Here's how can recover data from a hard drive - 

http://youtu.be/VZlQQYMAmXg

8 Posts

December 9th, 2014 03:00

Here's how you can recover back all the data from your hard drive - 

http:/youtu.be/VN4cxPcn7AY
" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">http://youtu.be/VN4cxPcn7AY

December 9th, 2014 12:00

In the easiest terms when a file is deleted from a computer, the entry for it in the directory structure is removed.  We used to say the process of deleting a file was no more complex than changing the file's name from, "MyDocument.doc" to "~yDocument.doc" (replacing the first character with a "~").

So in my experience some of the older file undelete utilities would present the User with a list of filenames still partially visible on the hard drive and IF the User could "fill-in" the missing first character of the filename then it would be restored.  This is the old way of doing "file recovery".

However, when you format the hard drive this is a much more dramatic and serious level of erasure and restructuring!  I looked at the DELL DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 documentation located here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

These instructions talk about (A) restoring an entire system, (B) restoring specific files or folders from a System Backup and (C) restoring individual files from File & Folder Backups, however I do not see a description of where this data is kept in the case of a full system restoration (e.g. it must be kept on the hard drive in a separate partition, unless the option to make a Backup to external media such as an external USB hard drive was given.)

Here are the Frequently Asked Questions on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

So, important points to consider based on my readings of the above:

1.) The Backups could have been made to any hard drive connected to the system (internal or external).

2.) The Backups can typically use 25% of the total available hard drive space, but not more than 30% according to this documentation.

Recovery of deleted files from a completely reformatted hard drive works best if the hard drive is examined IMMEDIATELY after being reformatted.  If the system was rebooted and began updating its software OR the User logged in to it and created a new User Profile, then these activities increase the likelihood of the older (pre-existing) data - now erased - being over-written again by completely new data.  I see DAN-DELL's posting is about a month old, so I will only close this reply by offering that I hope the situation turned out well for you!

Good luck!

No Events found!