Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2012 12:00

Reformat Dell XPS LS521x

Hello,

Today I received my brand new XPS LS521x, which I ordered with Windows 7 Home Premium.
Nevertheless, since I still got a Windows 7 Professional-license, I would like to reformat the laptop and use the professional edition of Windows 7.

I tried to put this in practice this afternoon, but I stumbled upon a kinda strange problem; when I inserted my Windows installation disc, files were loaded and then I chose 'new installation' (so not an upgrade). The computer went looking for intern drives to install Windows upon, but couldn't find any... so I was unable to reformat my new XPS.

Could anyone help me regarding this? :)

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 20th, 2012 14:00

Allabs

Welcome to the community

If your system shipped with mSATA and normal harddrive, then the system will have been set up for IRST, and depending on BIOS settings the drives may not be visable while booting.

I would check the BIOS settings, start the system while tapping F2. Once in the BIOS click on the advanced tab and look for SATA operations it will be set to IRST from the factory.  If you have it set to something else such as AHCI it could cause problems.

If you wish to have IRST with the new installation the following documentation should be of some help.

en.community.dell.com/.../dell-whitepaper-intel-responsiveness-technologies-setup-guide.aspx

TB

No Events found!