Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2010 09:00

Replacing Latitude D610 Hard Drive

I would like to replace the current hard drive in my Latitude D610, as it is only 40 gigs. and I need MUCH more space for several of my programs.  I have a 80 gig. hard drive from my previous laptop (a Compaq).  Is it possible to switch these two hard drives?  I've heard that many of Dell's components are proprietary and will not work if you don't use Dell parts, is this true?  If so, that sucks, and seems more than a little unfair considering other companies don't do that.  I love :emotion-5: my Dell, and I'm hoping this situation won't make me re-evaluate that position.

I really appreciate anyone who can give me some guidance on this, as I certainly do not want to do something that could possibly damage my laptop.

Lakota

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 18th, 2010 10:00

I I've heard that many of Dell's components are proprietary and will not work if you don't use Dell parts, is this true?

Heard from whom?????

D610 takes EIDE 2.5" hard drive

if your Compaq is the same type then you can use it

If by "switching" you mean to just take out the hard drive and put it in your Dell, you CANNOT do this. You need to reinstall Windows and copy back all your data files.

No Events found!