Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

August 20th, 2005 19:00

Screen blacking and whiting out

I think this is going to end up being a hardware issue, but I wanted to get some opinions here. My computer is an Inspiron 6000 with the ati x300 128 graphics card, pentium centrino 1.6, 2 gb ram, widows xp home. It is roughly 1 month old

Every day or so (though i dont think time is an issue) my screen will either go completely white, and ill have to reboot, or it will balck out completely, like it has no power at all (no glow to the screen at all) and the compouter will totally lock up. At first I tried re-installing various drivers, including the video drivers, from the Dell site. When that didnt work, I went ahead and did a complete system restore, but the problem remains, leading me to believe its a hardware issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Call Dell and have the screen replaced under warranty.

4 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks

10 Posts

August 21st, 2005 12:00

Hi DJ,

I am also thinking of buying this system. Can you post back to let us know how it all goes?

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

4 Posts

August 21st, 2005 16:00

I'll let you know what happens. For what it's worth, up until this started happeneing, I was very happy with my Inspiron. (And Im sure I will be again once it's fixed).

2K Posts

August 22nd, 2005 17:00

Same blacking out screen but this is Inspiron 5160 less than one year old.

4 Posts

August 26th, 2005 14:00

Well, they got my replacement screen out to me within 4 days, but they sent a Refurb.  When the tech arrived, he was a really nice guy.  I told him I was not interested in a refurb, that I purchased a new computer less than a week ago and if I didn't get a new part they could just give me an RMA and I'd send the laptop back.  He called the Dell rep and explained - the Dell rep told me that this was a mistake, that if the replacement was within the 21 days (the time I could return it) that the replacement should have been a new part.  The Dell tech replaced my screen with the refurb but they gave me a new service order for a new screen, should arrive in the next couple days. 
No Events found!