Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2016 04:00

Screen shows different color vertical and horizontal lines

I've been using Dell inspiring N5010 for almost 5 years.

From last week I'm experiencing this vertical and horizontal lines across my LCD.

Usually , laptops boots up normally and works well. After some time, it start showing these lines. If, by chance it recovers from it, it shows a windows message that "Display drivers stopped working, but it has now recovered".

If it doesn't recover it shows a blue screen with error and I have to forcefully shut it down using power button

It happens randomly.

I've tried D+power button...the screens looks ok.

I've tried fn+power button ....it doesn't show any lcd related error. But later while tests were still running, the screen starts showing those lines.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me the cable  issue between  LCD and motherboard.

Can anyone help me in finding the exact issue?

July 30th, 2016 20:00

Hi MV27389 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Are you able to replicate or vanish the lines by swinging the screen back and forth?

Also please try an external monitor for a day or two and observe if the lines appear. Looking at the message looks to be either a video card or video driver issue.

Please update the video drivers and BIOS from our support.euro.dell.com--enter the service tag#--submit--drivers and downloads--choose the operating system --install as suggested.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

July 31st, 2016 21:00

Hi We are awaiting your response.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for the solutions.
The issue doesn't reproduce when I swing the screen.
However I've installed the drivers again and I'm thinking of checking it for a few days before updating BIOS.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 1st, 2016 13:00

This is almost certainly a failing video chip - for which the mainboard needs to be replaced, which in turn may not make economic sense on an older low-end system -- you are likely better off shopping for a new system.

No Events found!