Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2013 08:00

Some keys stopped working after removing keyboard for cleanup!

I just removed the LED dashboard cover and then the keyboard in a LATITUDE E4300 and used some compressed air for a simple spring cleaning.  after I carefully put everything back together, the following keys stopped working    9 O L .

I repeated the process a couple of times to make sure I didn't make any mistake, but still those keys don't work.  :emotion-9:

does anyone have any idea what might have happened here?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi 1B1N8htsRT3GnkpBu,

I appreciate all that you have done; this seems to be an issue with keyboard, so consider replacing it. However, depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status. 

http://dell.to/Mbe3zg 

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only) In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

it was purchased outside of US and the warranty expired in 2011.

I'm more curious in knowing why simply removing the keyboard could have damaged it?

934 Posts

> you surely tried to reseat the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the mainboard ?

> the wiring inside the keyboard is quite sensitive - you might have inadvertently damaged it by using to much air pressure.

If one "wire" is damaged usually a whole bunch of keys fail.

> make sure the connector on the mainboard is not damaged and that the tiny sliders at both ends of it

(if  there are any) are properly in place.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

Hi 1B1N8htsRT3GnkpBu,

Keyboard has a delicate connector it could have been damaged while reconnecting.

April 2nd, 2013 13:00

en.community.dell.com/.../14041520.aspx

cleaned the connectors with alcohol and all working again!  thanks to the tip posted above.

No Events found!