Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2011 20:00

Sometimes headphone works, sometimes it does not

I have a unique problem. I can hear sound from speakers, but I can't hear from the headphone. This happens if I use the laptop for a long time (probably due to heat) and sometimes randomly. If I let it cool down for say 30 minutes, it has high probability of returning back to normal(I mean sound form headphone), but not on immediate restart. Sometimes the laptop completely ignores it is connected to the headphone and starts playing from the speakers whether the headphone jack is connected or not. Headphone has no problem, because even without touching the settings it come backs later. I tried to show this headphone  issue to the technician of the computer shop, but the problem is that, if I take the laptop there it takes somewhere round 30 minutes and I cannot retrace the error. It is quite random. At the shop I even tried to restart the computer 3 times to check if that problem arises again, but it did not. At home it often happens. Is there a cure, or should I ignore this error?. My audio drivers were installed by windows 7 itself. In device manager it shows two devices; High Definition Audio Device and Intel(R) Display Audio. One youtube video shows there are two controls in the Sound settings, but I have only one that tells Speakers. I even don't have any control to use headphone mic, however at normal condition, If I connect the headphone mic it works. Should I have two controls to controls to switch between laptop speakers and headphone. My computer is dell n4110.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 29th, 2011 05:00

Unfortunately the problem is not unique. There seems to be a flaw with the recent Inspiron M and N models. I don't know if this is in the software or hardware. I put out a suggestion to try the generic Windows driver in place of the IDT or Realtek driver as a way to test the driver, but that idea was ignored. One person said that pressing down on the case helped, which could suggest a hardware problem, but no one else reported trying to duplicate that.

Here are two threads about the problem on Inspiron N5010/M5010 models.

en.community.dell.com/.../19907914.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../19834179.aspx

July 29th, 2011 22:00

Hi, I downloaded the latest R297834 audio driver. It seems to work. It has been 2 days and it is doing just fine. I tested it on similar conditions e.g heavy gaming. Even after restart the problem does not appear. I don't know if it has really worked or not. If I encounter the problem again, I will surely write. I had same problem on Ubuntu 11.10(beta version). I have re-installed the full version (11.04). If the problem does not reappear on windows, then it has certainly to do with the audio driver in both.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 30th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for the update. I had overlooked this sentence from your initial post:

In device manager it shows two devices; High Definition Audio Device and Intel(R) Display Audio.

Neither of those was a Realtek driver. The "High Definition Audio Device" was the generic Windows driver  (the Realtek driver should say "Realtek High Definition Audio Device" or similar), and the "Intel(R) Display Audio" is the driver for HDMI audio. So if the problem stays gone now that you have a Realtek driver, then I would say that the problem was the generic audio driver, except that I don't know what the driver was when you had Ubuntu. If Ubuntu installed it then it was probably the same generic driver from Intel.

No Events found!