Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2009 17:00

Soundblaster X-Fi MB and Windows 7

Hello,

I've purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 a few months ago and I have Windows 7. I've grown tired of the windows-installed drivers, so I figured I'd get the Soundblaster X-Fi software. Since I obviously had to reformat to install Windows 7 (didn't do upgrade,) I also lost the installation of the X-Fi MB software. Looking everywhere for the DVD, and I conclude that I didn't actually get one with my laptop, because I made extra sure that I kept all of the contents of the box handy.

More or less, I'm missing the DVD. I never got it in the box. The software was pre-installed, yes, but the move to Windows 7 deleted it. What do I do? I called Dell Support and they insisted that I download the software from the site, which is actually just an update package and requires the original DVD software. Still, I tried to install it anyway and it just crashes in the beginning stages of the setup, even if I run it with Vista/XP compatibility mode, running as Admin.

What should I do?

940 Posts

November 11th, 2009 00:00

I just had to deal with the same thing today. I was on the phone with support for 1 1/2 hours and he kept telling me the same thing and also told me that what I had must be a trial version since the system did not list it. Since I have not done the upgrade yet I still have the factory install of Vista x64. I had him remote into the laptop so he could see for himself that it was installed. Then he opened IE and went to the drivers and download section and said to download what was listed and I had to tell him repetedly that it was a patch. He finaly ot his supervisor to let him send me the CD. Luckily my invoice shows that it was purchased. Just call again and demand to speak to a manager and have your invoice handy to prove that you purchased it.

November 11th, 2009 13:00

Ah. Cheers, mate. I'll call them up. 

9 Posts

November 20th, 2009 21:00

hi.. thanks for the quick responce.

i got total 6 CDs from dell..

1 Vista OS.

2 Driver and Utilities.

3 Roxio creator DE 10.2

4 Dell application for cyberlink power DVD DX 8.2

5 microsoft office 30 day trial.

6 dell web cam central application

my computer is in warrenty. its not even i think 3 months up when i got this laptop.

do u think i m missing driver and application cd for soundblaster??

by the way.. is there a difference in audio output or performance with this soundblasters? i dont know whether its worth ? though i have it in my laptop lol

where should i call dell customer support? i mean which no? and there are specific timings?

9 Posts

hi guys..

even i have same issue.. i mean i have inspiron 1545 with vista. i formatted it and installed windows 7. now i also dont have the drivers for soundblaster. what should i do? i mean like i have the vista os cd and Driver cd which came along with the laptop.. will those sound blaster app which was for vista work or what should i do???

as u said for the invoice do we need to have the invoice for laptop or purchasing windows 7?? i havent purchased windows 7 from dell. what should i do??

dell on call assistant as u  r talking what r the fees and how much i will have to pay for it?

940 Posts

Mike1985;

There should be a 3rd CD labeled Creative Soundblaster X-Fi MB for installing the software. First you need to install the driver for the sound card then you will install the Soundblaster software. When I revieved the disk the invoice that was included said

1 P684M Module, Software, Creative PANZER, 1.0, Factory Install

If you do not have the disk you will need to call Dell support and request it from them. I do not know what country you are in and if you are still under warranty so I can not tell you if there will be a cost or not. For me the laptop was only a few months old and I am under warranty still so there was no cost for me to call in the USA. Do not even tell them that you are upgrading or have upgraded to Windows 7 as that has nothing to do with the fact that you did not get the install CD.

Good Luck

December 21st, 2009 10:00

Not a uncommon thing I'm finding out.  I too received the exact same CD/DVD's and NO Creative SoundBlaster X_Fi MB disk!

January 4th, 2010 06:00

Called DELL XPS Support the other night (DEC 30) at around 6:30pm.  Reported that I was missing the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB installation disk.  They verified that I purchased the option with my Studio XPS 1640 and let me know that they would ship me the disk required.  The next day (DEC 31) I was out and came home to find a Purolator package from DELL at my front door containing the missing disk, this was at 11:30am.

In less than 12 hours I had the disk in my hand.  Installed and everything is great now.  Great service and response time!

No Events found!