Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

5 Posts

November 16th, 2006 16:00

Start menu stuck on right side of screen

Can someone tell me how to move my start menu back to the bottom of my screen?  I don't know how it got there it just suddenly was there.  I have tried putting my mouse over it and dragging to no avail it doesn't matter where I position the mouse the whole start menu area will move to about the middle of the screen and then stop.  I can move it right out of the way so that I cannot see it but I really prefer to have it on the bottom.  I have a Dell inspiron 6400 with windows xp.
Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 16th, 2006 19:00

Right click on it to make sure it's not locked. Then "grab" the toolbar with the mouse and drag it to the bottom. You can also use System Restore to go back to yesterday before this happened. Help says: To move the taskbar
Right-click the taskbar.
On the menu that appears, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
The taskbar is now unlocked. You can drag the taskbar to a new location on the desktop

5 Posts

November 16th, 2006 22:00

Thanks for your help.  It's back where it should be.

101 Posts

November 16th, 2006 22:00

If unlocking and click-dragging the taskbar doesn't work, you can try this:

It is a .vbs script. It is *NOT* a virus however. .vbs stands for Visual Basic Script.  Your Anti-Virus may pop up a warning about these types of files. This one is NOT malicious.

It will "reset" your taskbar to default functionality.  Just right click the link, select "Save target as..." and save it to your Desktop.

Then just double click the file you just downloaded.  If you see no change, reboot.  Your taskbar should be restored to its default position and functionality. (This is also good if your taskbar disappears or locks up.)

I hope this helps

No Events found!