Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2010 13:00

Startup doesn't display DELL logo and can't enter setup

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1521 and was having problems with my keyboard in Vista  Home Premium (hitting the "g" would type "gt", "t" typed "gt", and backspace would display the current time and date).  In diagnosing the keyboard, I'd tried rebooting into Safe Mode with command prompt to see if they keys still had problems.  I encountered a new problem - it appeared like it was going to boot to the command prompt, but ended up with a blank screen.  Same problem when I try Safe Mode.  Also trying some boot disks I get the same results - though the Acronis True Image boot disk did finally give me a possible lead to what's going on - it said it couldn't display in 600x480x4.  Looks like anything requiring lower resolutions has problems... As for the keyboard, a USB one works fine in Vista so looks like just have to get a replacement keyboard.

At same time, noticed the DELL logo missing when I turn on my laptop.  I do get the option to go into Setup (F2) or Select Boot Device (F12) but doesn't appear like it's going through the post.  When I hit F2, it pauses and then displays a screen full of blue-green hearts and freezes.  I got to thinking maybe the BIOS got messed up and is creating a resolution/display problem until I'm running the Vista drivers?  I've tried removing the main battery, disconnecting the ac adapter, disconnecting the CMOS battery, pressing the power button for a minute, and rebooting (after reconnecting everything).   When I boot back up it tells me "RTC mode fixed - Time and date may be wrong, Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program, Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program, Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics" But when I press the F2 key, nothing happens and F1 and F5 don't work either. I end up having to power it down and restart it. Going into Setup, I see the green hearts again.

Can it be my BIOS creating this problem?  I'm considering running the BIOS update but don't want create more problems...is this a mistake or worth a try?  Also have read varying opinions on CMOS battery problems - would think I'd have seen a warning if it was dead (it's about 3 years old).  I can try and buy a CMOS battery, but not convinced it's this (and it's the type with the 3 pin connector attached so have to order it).  Last, can't think it's a graphics hardware issue since Vista does come up fine.  Help - should I try reflashing my BIOS or try ???    Thanks in advance for any insights and/or thoughts!

November 2nd, 2010 14:00

No ideas?  I'm about to try reflashing the BIOS to see if that does anything...with not being able to enter setup, wondering if BIOS has become "corrupted" though it does still boot into Vista!   It seems in a nutshell to be also related to an inability to display at lower resolutions - but if was the graphics chip, would think I'd be having problems in Vista...  This does not seem to be Windows related since the display shows the blue-green hearts upon entering Setup (before Windows ever loads).  Also it boots into Vista fine and everything works fine there.  Lastly, using the Acronis True Image boot disk wouldn't run giving an error that it couldn't display at 600x480x4 - and I don't see that it would be using anything on the hard drive to load.

Talking elsewhere, the recommendation was to reinstall Windows - but if I can't even get the recovery disk to display the initial setup/recovery screen, how can I reinstall Windows!  I'm just about ready to go buy a new laptop (and given my experiences, not a Dell) unless someone has any suggestions. 

1 Message

October 31st, 2012 11:00

It could also be a faulty monitor. Try using a different monitor and see if anything changes. If you don't have a second monitor you can use your TV

No Events found!