Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

July 20th, 2008 21:00

Studio 15 Keyboard/Touchpad issues

Hello,

I recently purchased a Studio 15 Laptop, and after using it for a few days (less than one week), I have developed the following problems:

The touchpad/mouse buttons are not functional.

The lighted buttons (play, pause, FF, REW, Mute, Vol Up, Vol Down, and CD Eject) do not light or function, though the Bluetooth, Disk access, and Wifi lights do operate normally.

Many keys in the center of the keyboard (including but not limited to: 7, Y,U, H, J, N, M) will not respond except when hit repeatedly and very forcefully.

This has rendered the computer functionally unuseable.

I was able to get the touchpad functioning briefly in Safe Mode by using the advice in this article:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/tree?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&treeid=FD1972D3BA5A43E08BAEA893CA928107&doclang=en&cs=

But upon returning to traditional startup, the cursor would not move, though on my first attempts to use the touchpad it would briefly become the "working" cursor (with the blue circle), while continuing to remain unresponsive.

I assume that this is some sort of hardware issue, with some sort of flaw in the middle of the keyboard affecting the touch sensitive controls and keyboard, though the semi-functionality of the touchpad baffles me.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

2 Posts

July 21st, 2008 00:00

I recently purchased the same laptop and I am experiecing the same problems. 

2 Posts

July 21st, 2008 13:00

I called Dell support and they had me take out my battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.  After restoring the battery and turning on my laptop the problem had been solved.  You might want to give this a try.  Though I am afraid the problem might come back. 

1 Message

July 26th, 2008 00:00

Hey guys.

I had to same issue. Tried the remove battery and hold power for 30 seconds and it works!

Any idea what caused this? Does it happen often. Is it covered under warranty?

Thanks

August 16th, 2008 18:00

Hey,

I'm also experiecing this problem, though m keyboard does work if I leave te keyes pressed for a second.  Not tried removing the battery yet but I'll post again with the reslts.  Will there be a recall for is as I've tried a system factory reset and the media buttons still didn't work so I'm guessing it's a hardware problem.

Here's hoping the battery reset works.

Rick.

August 16th, 2008 18:00

Hey,

Removed the battery and held the power button down for 30 secs and voila...    ...all the media keys work and my touch pad and keyboard are working flawlessly.  Don't want to have to do this every few days though, I've only had the laptop for about 5 days!!!  I'm going to report this to Dell and I guess if enough of us do the same we might get the problem fixed.

It's a shame as other than this problem the laptop is awesome and runs perfectly.

Rick.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 14:00

Let me add myself to the growing list of frustrated Studio Laptop users!  I've done the battery reseat and it works for a week maybe and then back to square one.

Can someone from DELL please read this and respond?

2 Posts

August 26th, 2008 04:00

Here is yet another very frustrated new Dell Studio laptop owner, about to attempt the remove battery-hold power button manouvre.

This is all very disappointing. :smileysad:

2 Posts

September 1st, 2008 12:00

Hi, i have the Studio17 but am experiencing the same problem too! i've only had the laptop for a week. was on the phone for over 1 hour with support, had to do all sorts, resulting in restoring to factory settings and losing everything i had on the laptop... still didn't work. they said they would call back... i'm still waiting! this definitly needs to be reported and sorted out! obviously a problem they have to repair on all our laptops!

2 Posts

September 1st, 2008 17:00

Right after my last posting, I engaged in a 2.5 hour session with Dell's tech support staff, who had me doing all manner of diagnostics until the guy was finally satisfied that the problem was to do with the hardware installed (as I insisted from the beginning) and instructed me to send my laptop away to be repaired. Like you, we'd only had our Studio a very short time. We can ony hope to get the laptop back from Dell's authorized repair shop in a fully functional state...

Will keep you posted. In the meantime, I suggest you attempt to get your money back from Dell or arrange to have it repaired.

Why all the silence from Dell with this particular, quite damning, forum topic??? 

2 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 07:00

i went on to the chat tech support yesterday afternoon, and mentioned this topic was here and that quite a few people were experiencing the problem. he told me that there have been no customers complaining that this was a recurring problem and it wasn't a hardware problem!

i told him what it said on here about removing the battery etc... and it did work. he also said that it wouldn't happen again. luckily they email the full conversation so if it does reoccur, i have proof that i showed my concerns to dell that i was stuck with a laptop that doesn't work correctly, and was told by them that there was no problem.

14 Posts

September 8th, 2008 13:00

I have had the eject key stay lit 3 times now, i have had to repeat the battery step to fix it, but this is getting annoying now. I'm going to talk to dell support and see if i can get anything.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2009 19:00

I have been having the same problem with my laptop. I've had mine since the end of July and this problem surfaced after I had had it about a two weeks. I had researched it and removing the battery does work but it's not a long term fix. I have been dealing with this problem because it was only a minor inconvience but it's been increasingly getting on my nerves every time it happens.

35 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 06:00

On my first Studio 1735 I had the same problem along with many others. The keys would work off and on. I had to do a factory re-imagine and it seemed to fix that problem which was not the reason I was do the re-imagine but that was short lived. I wound up requesting an exchange and sent the defective laptop back. Got the exchange and the media keys had acted up at first but again I had to another re-imagine as well as reinstall drivers etc from the disc with the laptop and that seem to fix the issue with the keys. You may want to try that, reinstall from you cd's if all else fails contact Dell and request an exchange especially if it is a brand new laptop. I don't feel that I want a third party tech opening a brand new laptop up, which was the main reason I requested the exchange.

1 Message

January 15th, 2009 10:00

Add me to the list of angry Dell Studio 15 customers!  I just got my laptop a few days ago... after TWO HOURS, the mouse/touchpad/buttons stopped working!  That's outrageous.  I'll try the battery reset, but it sounds like more typical Dell "never heard of that problem" rhetoric that's seems to be so common.  Should've learned after my last Dell laptop. :-(

1 Message

January 15th, 2009 18:00

Hello,

I am a full time university student, and I made the purchase of my laptop using every single penny I received as a grad present from family. What a mistake!!!! I was reading through the comments on the Studio 15 which directed me to this page and I was shocked/surprised/slightly relieved to see I wasn't the only one having these problems. Your list of malfunctioning parts is the exact same as mine. I purchased my computer in August '08 and didn't experience the first meltdown till about a month and a half ago. The keyboard and touchpad stopped responding, the media lights didn't even light up never mind work properly, and the fan was running constantly (and loudly!). After spending 45 minutes on hold I was finally put through to to a tech rep. who quickly proved to be no more help to me than the automated voice I listenend to just a few seconds earlier. After an hour and a half of trying to fix the computer, he decided it needed to be sent back as there was nothing he could do and parts would need to be replaced. I got it back six days later working like a charm, thank goodness! However now, a month and a half later, it has happened again. My dad proceeded to call Dell and give them an ear full, and they said they would send someone out to fix it. So that's all fine and dandy, except that when I recevied my computer back, (my dad had taken it to work), there are FOUR marks on the top! One rather long scratch, it looks as though he had it upside down and there was a small rock or peice of dirt under it that he dragged it over, along with three smaller scratches.

This entire experience with Dell has been more than a headache and has taught me two things:

1. I will NEVER be purchasing anything over the internet again as there is no one to yell at face-to-face when there is a problem and

2. I will never again be purchasing another Dell product.

I completely agree with the recall comment, this is beyond ridiculous and much more than a coincidence that many of us are experiencing the same problems.

No Events found!