Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2011 15:00

Studio 17. I am in such a mess !

Normal 0 21 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi, I’d never used a Dell before until my son got himself a Dell vostro. I loved it so much that I decided to get a Dell too and got a very good deal on second hand studio 17, with Windows Vista operating system.

The problem is that the seller has overwritten windows with a new version leaving all his old software on the computer taking up over 10gbs of memory plus various Trojans and other problems so I decided to try a clean install in order to take off all the rubbish.

I couldn’t do it by restarting and pressing F8 as the repair option was not offered so I tried from the reinstallation disc provided.

I’m the first to admit that I don’t know the first thing about computers and I should have left it well alone

I selected partition 1 for the placement windows .

Everything seemed to go according to plan, both the old versions of windows had gone to be replaced by a fresh new version of windows.

The problem is that now my C drive is showing ; 3.96gb free of 9.99gb

And my D drive ; 166gb free of 287gb

Where did all my memory go and is this permanent??

I’d be very grateful for any advise + feel free to give me a verbal slapping

10 Posts

March 19th, 2011 15:00

I should state it's a studio 1735 running Vista home premium

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 19th, 2011 16:00

Sounds to me like Windows is installed to C:\  . Unfortunately, 9GB isn't enough and you will eventually run out of space in that partition if you install more programs, etc.

you'll now have to install the drivers -->   http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_1A0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&isLegacy=true

10 Posts

March 20th, 2011 02:00

is there a way of taking everything off and starting over ?

10 Posts

March 20th, 2011 11:00

When I'm given the option of where to put windows, the C drive or the D drive, which option should I select?

When I choose the C drive  it fills half the drive

10 Posts

March 20th, 2011 12:00

Sorry, I see the answer in the link you sent me;

Thanks for your help!

No Events found!