Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2011 19:00

Studio 1745 with Windows 7 - IDT Audio fails, works sometimes after restart

I seem to have an issue with the IDT High Def Audio CODEC. Sometimes it works then it doesnt, but it seems to be getting worse. Usually I just restart once or twice & it works but lately thats not working.

The Volume Mixer wont respond. I tried a PC Checkup & it wont even let me test the Sound Card - IDT High Def Audio CODEC, it freezes up. I had talked to a tech before & they updated a driver & then it seemed fine for a few days but it apparently didnt fix it.  Ive noticed that I cant seem to watch any videos or work with any type of media when this happens or the program Im using to play the video/audio freezes up.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 4th, 2011 05:00

Hard to say if it is a hardware problem, audio driver problem, or something messed up in Windows, perhaps from their infamous updates.

I would try doing a clean installation of the audio driver first, as explained in sections 2 & 3 of the Audio Driver FAQ., because the tech might not have done a clean install. If that doesn't help then try the generic driver as explained in section 6 . If still no luck then it probably it is not a driver problem.

I tried a PC Checkup & it wont even let me test the Sound Card - IDT High Def Audio CODEC

To test for hardware problems run Dell Diagnostics audio tests while the audio is frozen. But because the problem is intermittent I doubt that the tests will catch it.

For problems caused by Windows or a virus (if driver and hardware seem to be ruled out as the cause), restore the computer to original factory configuration. If that does not fix the problem then the cause is hardware. If it fixes the problem but then if it recurs after some time passes then it is probably caused by Microsoft. Another symptom of a Windows root cause is if Windows Audio Service keeps shutting off. If that happens then whenever the audio driver is installed it resets the service back to "on". That would make it appear to be a driver problem whereas it is actually something wrong in Windows that is turning off the Audio Service. See section 3 of  The "No Audio" FAQ for some details.

No Events found!