Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 21:00

Switchable graphics - not switching

I just bought a dell inspiron 15R- 5520, with switchable graphics.

I am unable to use my ATI graphic card for the games and other applications which I use. The intel graphic is being used for every App.

When I disable the Intel graphics hardware (to force the ATI mobility card to be default) then the screen goes to 800x600 and I can't switch to another resolution or access the CCC.

Also, if I am accessing a game that profiles my hardware, it only has Intel HD integrated graphics listed. Even I switch the program under Switchable graphics to be high performance.

Also, if I download the AMD/ATI driver to automatically tell me what I need, I get an error saying that AMD/ATI cannot update due to incompatible hardware/software...etc.

I've already re-installed the original drivers by doing a clean OS install twice and the same things happen.

I only really care about using the ATI mobility dedicated graphics which is why I bought this setup, but I can't even tell if its working and it seems some programs only use the intel setup anyways. I dont care about the Intel graphics and am not bothered if i have to disable them.

Any additional thoughts or tips?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2012 07:00

There is an order of installation of drivers that must be followed when you do a manual install.  The two critical pieces are the Dell notebook system software and the Intel chipset driver -- without these, many other drivers -- including the ATI Catalyst drivers - will not work properly.

See step 4, here

support.dell.com/.../document

August 14th, 2012 21:00

i have the same problem can any one help us

86 Posts

August 18th, 2012 02:00

my 3450 had AMD drivers and I also could not use the automated installer so I downloaded and installed the drivers manually by picking Radeon HD Series and Windows 7 x64. Driver is now version 12.8 and everything is as it should be.

1 Message

August 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi there, iam just wondering how did you order a 15R 5520 with switchable graphics because iam trying to do so but it doesnt show in my configuration page :/

1 Message

August 27th, 2012 16:00

Dude I got exactly the same problem in my inspiron n5520, in fact when I start dell support center and view the system cofiguration it does'nt detect any amd hd 7670m card and shows only the intel hd 4000 card... although i can see it in the device manager. And playing games is like self torture as it doesnt switch to hd7670 and plays on intel hd 4000 even in the high performance mode...dell seriously needs to look into, this lots of people are having this issue.

24 Posts

September 10th, 2012 03:00

me too having the same problem....I have an inspiron 4050 running on a Ati card and same thing is happening to my laptop tooo....its just getting into my nerves and iam wondering whether it has a graphics card or not????????

10 Posts

September 14th, 2012 03:00

i am having exactly the same problem if anyone finds any solution please do let me know @ <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

did anyone contacted dell for this issue ? on call?

8 Posts

September 14th, 2012 14:00

God! i have the same problem as well :C

25 Posts

September 20th, 2012 14:00

Catalyst control center not starting, error: there are curently no setting that can be configured using catalysy control center .

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 04:00

Same problem here!!!!!!

1 Message

October 10th, 2012 17:00

I have Same Problem

can anyone help us ???

4 Posts

October 13th, 2012 18:00

the same exact problem is happening with me  with the same laptop model , I hope to find a solution and pass it to me.

p.s. I found about 5-6 questions expressing the same problem and when i tried to post these post they said"duplicated posts" !!!! well DELL find us a duplicated solutions then!!

27 Posts

March 6th, 2013 19:00

Hi everyone,

Try the following driver and check if it fixes the problem :

leshcatlabs.net/.../leshcats-catalyst-13-1-whql-unifl-v2-1-for-amdintel-laptops

Note that you have to clean install this driver i.e. you have to uninstall the old driver from the system and then reboot and install the above driver and then reboot the computer again. The above drivers have a good success rate and have been reported as solving the issues with switchable graphics.

Hope this helps

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 7th, 2013 12:00

does this driver worked ppls?

10 Posts

March 8th, 2013 05:00

yes it works great but u have to uninstall the drivers and catalyst first my games work very smooth now .... :D 

try  it you will not be disappointed by this ...

No Events found!