Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

August 13th, 2008 01:00

That Didn't Take Long-New 1530 Today= First Problem; AVerTV Install Then Black Screen At Start-Up

Things were going great with my new 1530 until I inserted the AVerTV card.  Inserted the card into the card slot, Vista recognized the card, installed the drivers, said it was "Done."  Then without any fanfair, it just hung "not recognized."  Faced with no other options, I powered down.

When I restart, I get the following message:

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardward or software change might be the cause.  If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly start up repair can help diagnose and fix the proplem.  If power was interrupted, choose launch start up repair.

I get two options:

• Start Windows Normally
  • Launch Start Up Repair

Start Windows Normally keeps bringing me back to the "Windows Failed to Start" message

Launch start up repair hangs me up on a black screen

After repeated attempts, I removed the AVerTV card, and get the same results as above.

Things WERE going great.  I thought I was going to be the ONE with no issues with his new 1530. 

Any ideas? What do you suggest and how do I do it?

TuxedoBlack

10 Posts

August 13th, 2008 02:00

Just did a diagnostic...got the following:

Error Code 0142

Msg: Error Code 2000-0142

Msg: Hard Drive 1 - Self Test unsuccessful. Status : 70

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Tech Support to help diagnose the problem.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

August 13th, 2008 03:00

Your hard drive has most likely failed. This is a normal error code for a failed drive.

Contact Dell. You will get a replacement drive.

If you have any data you must recover, try to boot into safe mode and copy the data.

30 Posts

August 13th, 2008 16:00

Sorry, Tux -- *I* got the one M1530 without any problems.  (Knock on wood.)  I didn't know you wanted it.

Can you run the system restore utility at boot to restore the hard drive to out-of-box freshness?  (I haven't needed to do that myself -- again, knock on wood -- but I would try that before going through the effort of returning the drive, or the entire laptop, to Dell.)

10 Posts

August 15th, 2008 17:00

Well, I guess Premium Support is worth it...

I called Dell Tech Support with my HD error message on Wed 8/13 at 4:15pm.  A new drive was deliverd to my front door on Thurs 8/14 at 12:15pm.  Less than 24 hours (wish my XPS was delivered that fast :smileytongue: ).  How's that for support...

So far, so good.  I've installed the new HD and my image seems to be complete.  Now, let's wait to see what happens when I try to install the AVerTV card again...

TuxedoBlack

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

August 15th, 2008 19:00

I'm happy the problem was resolved. Your experience is much more representitative of Dell's service than some of the ranting posts you will read on the Forums. Initial failures occur with all computers as the parts manufacturers do not perform much in the way of QC testing. They leave that, unfortunately, to the end user - you.
No Events found!