Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

TC

August 29th, 2005 00:00

That don't look like any Pentium 4 I've ever seen.

Moooooo!

Has anyone else run into this? My 5100 is suppossed to have a Pentium 4-thats what I paid for, but it's a nice slow little Celeron instead. Not much luck getting resolution. Wondering if anyone else ran into this and found a relatively painless solution?

3.2K Posts

And you just found out it has a celeron?? That model has been out of production for almost 2 years.

Actually I don't remember the 5100 ever being offered with a celeron. Although I'm really not up on that series of notebooks.

610 Posts

Did you actually look at it to identify it or are you reading something in the OS or some other program? Are you the original owner and did you but it from Dell?

August 29th, 2005 03:00

I am the original owner and did indeed buy it from Dell. When I look in systems properties it lists it as being a celeron. When I looked in bios it lists a celeron. When I looked in the device manager it lists a celeron. When I ran the Dell System Profiler it lists a celeron. After my first post I went digging through my papers from when I bought it and I found the system information that I had printed out. Sure enough it lists a pentium 4 in systems properties. I am sure my ignorance precedes me in the world of computers so I never paid any attention to this before. I only got curious because last week Dell sent a tech out to check on my 5100 because it was running mega hot then kept shutting down. I don't know what he did but I was poking around seeing if everything was okay when I came across this issue.

3.2K Posts

August 29th, 2005 08:00

Go to the Dell support site and enter you service tag. Look for "Original System Configuration" that will tell you what CPU shipped with the unit. If in fact it shipped with a P4 and now the system is reporting it has a Celeron then you need to contact Dell and have it fixed. I take it you have a extended warranty with onsite service.

You never know the tech could of swapped out the P4 for the Celeron.

No Events found!