Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2011 06:00

There sparking sound(cracking sound) from both speakers and head set while playing audio

I bought a new XPS 15z laptop and its showing audio issues. It seems the issue is not with the speakers because I can hear the sparking noise(noise is similar to this http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=33409) is from the both the speakers as well as the headset. I re-installed the audio drivers and its not fixed yet. Any ideas? I contacted dell support and because of the their good support I'm posting this in the forum. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2011 07:00

There is a thread that discusses the audio problem on the XPS 15z model.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19383187.aspx?PageIndex=1

It is a long thread but it might be worthwhile to read. Here is a quote of one of the tips in that thread:

At the suggestion of one of the previous posts are started trying to find out how to make the HD Realtek speakers the default. I had just assumed they would be and I really have no idea how to set that. But what I did was to right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner and choose Volume Control Options. Then I checked off each of the three available boxes (All devices currently playing sound; The default communication device; Speakers).

Then I clicked on the arrowhead in the bottom right hand corner to show hidden icons and double clicked on the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon and changing the MaxxAudio setting to gaming (I just prefer that setting over the others for sound quality in general). However, I don't know if that really did anything because when I restarted the laptop, the setting had reverted from gaming back to music.

However, I notice under the Advanced tab of the Realtek HD Audio Manager that there is a power management setting which turns off system audio devices when there are no sound events. Is it worth trying to turn this feature off?

For what it is worth from someone who really has no idea what they are doing. All I know is that it seems my problem is gone and I now have great sound again

There are other suggestions in the thread.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2011 16:00

I have the same type of laptop and the same problem. 

I have done mostly everything described in the thread you linked, without succes. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows.

For me the problems started only recently, and I have had my laptop for several months. Is there any info on a recently updated driver that might cause the problem?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 8th, 2011 20:00

Is there any info on a recently updated driver that might cause the problem?

I have not heard of anything. If you go to the XPS 15z downloads page you can see the dates that the drivers were released. The only new one I see for September is the touchpad. There were a couple of new wireless drivers in late August.

The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows.

If you run out of options and you need to track this down, you could restore to the original factory configuration, then make and allow changes only gradually, checking the audio each time. When the problem returns you will know which change caused it.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2011 16:00

Arloo:

I had the same problem--it only happened about two months after getting the computer. I updated EVERYTHING and just had a tech come out to replace motherboard, sound card and speakers to no avail. Just tried some of the other tactics people have posted here. We'll see if it works

25 Posts

October 7th, 2011 23:00

Buddy its not just you who's having this problem. There are many such people with same complaint in this forum too. I had the same problem, on reporting my hard disc, battery, mother board was changed but this problem won't go.. I really dont know whats the problem. All I can tell you is that this is a very irritating problem with systems that you buy to enjoy music but are not able to do so... I have Inspiron 14R.

25 Posts

October 8th, 2011 00:00

I just talked to the tech team manager about this problem, here in India. I asked to take back the system or replace it. He said he could do none. Now he is going to send a technician again for this problem. There is nothing left to be replaced inside this plastic case but let them try till I get the solution. You guys too try talking to your tech depts. and update this thread so that we can know the actual solution. One more thing... I was so bugged up by this problem that I got infuriated and used hard language (not abusive) in the forum and all my threads were removed. They don't accept criticism here, only solutions. Ha....!!!!!

October 8th, 2011 02:00

Hi All, I started this thread and the funny thing is the issue still persist.  I contacted dell support and they suggested to give the laptop to service center.  I'm about to give to laptop to service center this week. Will post the result soon.

25 Posts

October 8th, 2011 03:00

You will find it soon that its not funny. I have found it frustrating. If you notice the CPU usage, you'll find that when ever it suddenly spikes, you get the distortion in sound. After getting my mother board changed the problem has reduced a bit but not gone fully. Try running dell support centre along with the audio and you'll find the problem very prominent. So, if your laptop lays tricks with you and fails to reproduce that sound infront of the technicians, just run audio and then run dell support centre,.. I am so mentally scared of this sound that I shiver even when my door makes sound.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 8th, 2011 06:00

I was so bugged up by this problem that I got infuriated and used hard language (not abusive) in the forum and all my threads were removed. They don't accept criticism here, only solutions.

It's okay to be critical of Dell here. It is unacceptable that they keep sending out computers with audio problems. These bugs need to be straightened out before they ship the laptops. It is not the customer's job to fix Dell's mistakes.

I have been on this board for 8 years and I have never seen a post removed for being critical of Dell, and believe me I have seen much harsher comments than yours. I give full credit to the moderators for allowing people to vent. Your thread that was removed from the Laptop Audio Forum contained language that referenced initiating legal action. That kind of discussion is not allowed for obvious reasons. If you had omitted that and just used hard criticism your thread would not have been removed,  imo.

The reason I am making a point of this is that I don't want others to come to this board and think that their post will be removed if they are critical.

October 31st, 2011 08:00

Sorry, I was out of town for the last two weeks, so didn't get a chance to go to service center. I'll keep you posted on this.

25 Posts

October 31st, 2011 08:00

Hi,

I believe that you must have got your system back from service center by now. Is the problem still there. What do they tell you they did to solve the problem?

5 Posts

December 10th, 2011 07:00

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!

Thanks to egis_core_i7 who posted this solution in another thread, I have been listening to audio on my Inspiron 1545 for over an hour without a single stutter! The problem is a faulty or outdated Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. To solve the problem you must get the updated driver directly from the Intel site. Both the Dell Support Center and Windows Update are currently supplying outdated versions. Here is the direct link to the driver, please make sure that it is compatible with your operating system.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

No Events found!