Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 28th, 2012 06:00

Too Hot!

Help Please!

I bought a 17" XPS just under a year ago with the following specs

XPS 702x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
Memory : 6GB (1X4GB + 1X2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Hard Drive : 1TB (2x500GB) Serial ATA (7200RPM) Dual HDD
Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card

I expect it to get a little warm but the lower left hand side is getting ridiculously hot - too hot to be comfortable. I've tried stopping the processor a 99% updated all the things that are recommended and have even bought a cooling pad but it makes no difference anyway.

Is this a common thing and what can Dell do about it? I bought it on 1 year free credit so have not paid for it yet but am getting more worried about having to soon pay in full some £700 for something I don't think is fit for purpose (it does what I want - don't get me wrong I love it - I mean not fit for purpose in having a seriously toasty hand is not something I expect - there's no warning on my order form saying "Will be uncomfortable to use after 15 minutes of WoW"

Any thoughts? Does it need replacing? (Oh and I've already cleaned the vents and done an OS restore.) It's still 2 months withing the standard warranty if it needs fixing but my current

4 Posts

September 28th, 2012 10:00

Hi Priyanka - Thanks for taking the time to reply - I've already ensured the BIOS is updated - I will try the diagnostic boot tonight.

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Since, you have already cleaned the vents, reinstalled the OS and also using cooling pad. I suggest you to update the BIOS.

An out of date BIOS can cause heat issues by having an outdated temperature table for the system. Please follow the link on Dell’s support site to update the BIOS. Use the link: http://dell.to/uIo3ef
Please select the operating system which you are using. Then download the BIOS update and install it on the computer.
In this process the computer will automatically restart and might beep.

If the issue still persists, please run the hardware diagnostics.
To launch the diagnostics on this system, perform one of the following actions:

• Hold down the Fn key while pressing the power button.
  • Turn on the system, press F12 at the initial Dell logo screen, and select Diagnostics from the boot menu.
  • Disconnect the AC power and remove the battery. While holding down the power button, insert the AC connector into the back of the system. The system then starts and the message Diagnostic boot selected displays. The system then launches the diagnostics.

Please check for any error messages and reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

Hi Priyanka - Thanks for taking the time to reply - I've already ensured the BIOS is updated - I will try the diagnostic boot tonight.

September 28th, 2012 12:00

Hi Robko,

I have a similar laptop, the L502X 15" XPS, also with i7 processor, and the more modest nVidia GT 540 M.

I did many of the same things you have done:  bought a cooling stand, updated the BIOS, run all the diagnostics.

For me, the problem is only when using the nVidia 3D video (ie, in a 3D environment).  The system puts out more heat in that situation than the laptop's cooling system can handle, and eventually it freezes up.  

Twice, during the warranty, I contacted Dell about this issue.  Twice they told me how extremely unusual this problem is, and agreed to replace the heat pipe, heat sink, and motherboard.  Twice the problem continued unaffected (though usually the new motherboard goes a bit longer before crashing).  I managed to limp along by minimizing my usage of 3D, alt-tabbing out whenever I could to allow the system cooling to catch up, etc.

My laptop is now out of warranty.  There's not much I can do.  I'm looking for better external cooling systems.  I can't play, for example, Guild Wars 2, even though my laptop can certainly run it for a while, because it will overheat and lock up.  

I'd recommend you settle your heating concerns while you still have a warranty.

4 Posts

October 1st, 2012 01:00

Hi Priyanka - I did this and everything went fine with the diagnostics - BIOS is up to date. Please advise

October 4th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

As all hardware diagnostics have passed, it doesnt seem to be a hardware issue.
Please let us know if you have observed the heating up while playing games or using the system on any other programs.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

October 6th, 2012 13:00

"Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue" isn't quite the right wording--too hot is absolutely a hardware issue.  As I understand it, you are saying "there is nothing wrong with the hardware, it just gets that hot."  Which is the conclusion I reached on my laptop:  it's functioning as designed, but the design simply does not properly dissipate the heat generated when the graphics card is running at full speed (much less the processor and graphics card together).

Try this:  Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Power Options.  

Select "Change Plan Settings" for whatever power scheme you are using.  

Select, toward the bottom, "Change Advanced Power Settings".  

Scroll down to "Processor power management", expand it, then expand "Maximum processor state".

Set those to 90% (or 95%...I think the important thing is less than 100%).

That will prevent the i7 from using its max power state, but in my experience, I don't need that little burst of speed from the processor.  As I recall, that made my laptop run a little bit cooler, and I haven't noticed any difference in speed at all.  This is just a random tidbit I found doing google searches on the problem.  If it doesn't work for you, you can always set it back up to 100.

No Events found!