Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2012 01:00

Touch pad stopped working

I have a Studio xps13, the touch pad started having issues about a month ago, when i randomly turned on my machine i would find the touch pad wasn't working, then i would restart and it would be working fine, untill when it stopped working for good, i tried reinstalling and upgrading the drivers but it still hasn't come back yet, sometimes it starts shaking on its own for a few seconds and sometimes it even starts working but only for a minute or something then its dead again, i have to use an external mouse now. one thing i noticed though is that the issues begun when i updated my Wacom drivers, i don't know if there is any connection but any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated. am wondering if formating and reinstalling my os ( Windows 7 Ultimate) will help.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 4th, 2012 02:00

Hi AxisAngel,

Check the status of touch pad in safe mode (restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo) .Select Safemode and try using the touchpad. 

If the touchpad shows the same behavior in safe mode, try updating the Touchpad Driver from the below mentioned link, this is to make sure the correct drivers are installed.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/studio-xps-13?driverId=PK13J&osCode=WLH&fileId=2731091131 

If the issue still persists,try running full system scan from the below link:

http://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19?~ck=mn

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Awaiting your response!

27 Posts

October 4th, 2012 02:00

try contacting Microsoft directly. Tell them you updated windows and touchpad stopped working. They should help you fix the problem for free over the phone.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2012 05:00

Ive installed the new drivers and still no change, and when i run the diagnostics it keeps showing this message >>

The diagnostic launcher has been downloaded but is not running. Please run the diagnostic launcher by double-clicking the downloaded file then attempt your diagnostic again.

And when i double click the file and attempt the diagnostics again, it shows the same message again, is the problem with my machine?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi AxisAngel,

Did the touchpad work in safe mode?

Try running diagnostics by restarting the computer by holding Fn and power button and let the test run.

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Warranty status: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en&t=warranty

Post back the result.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

October 7th, 2012 10:00

Ok ill try running the diagnostics again, it did not work on safe mode and my warranty is not active

5 Posts

October 7th, 2012 10:00

I held the Fn and power button but all it did was go off, is it supposed to do that?

5 Posts

October 7th, 2012 12:00

Ok things are just getting worse, now it wont even respond to my wacom (am using a wacom mouse), i had to reinstal the drivers to get the external mouse working again, plus when i restarted my machine again, even the keyboard was unresponsive, but now its working again, am starting to strongly think its a virus.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 9th, 2012 07:00

Hi AxisAngel,

I am sending you the troubleshooting steps through private message.

No Events found!