Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

TT

November 18th, 2008 10:00

Touchpad scroll does not work - what to do? - Dell Inspiron 6000d

Hello all:

I did a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3 (after updates) on my Dell Inspiron 6000d. The touchpad worked, but not the scroll areas of the touchpad. From the Dell Drivers and Utilities CD I installed the driver labelled "Synaptics Touchpad". The tray icon is labelled "Synaptics Pointing Device", and when I check Properties the driver is identified as:

Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device, date 08/03/2006, version 8.2.4.6.

The scroll areas of the touchpad still do not work. When I open the tray icon Synaptics Pointing Device, or the Mouse control panel (same thing), there is no option to enable or adjust the scroll areas.

When I go to Dell's Downloads page, I see an Inspiron 6000-compatible driver for "Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer", but no reference to Synaptics. Now I'm confused, as Dell's CD has Synaptics drivers but the web site has only Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer drivers. I don't even know what the difference is or which one I'm supposed to use.

How do I get the scroll areas of the touchpad to work?

1 Message

November 20th, 2008 21:00

Have you figured it out? I'm having the same problem and would like to know what to do as well.

4.6K Posts

November 26th, 2008 09:00

You can download the touchpad drivers from the official Synaptics website :emotion-5:

2 Posts

December 21st, 2008 02:00

You can download the touchpad drivers from the official Synaptics website :emotion-5:

Hi,

I have the same exact problem and have downloaded the touchpad driver from Synaptics website. But for some reason the scroller is still not working.

Do you know where can I get the driver from somewhere else?

Thanks

3 Posts

December 30th, 2008 19:00

I started having the same problem, too.  I believe it started after the 12/20/08 update.  I, too, am confused about the Synaptics/Alps discrepancy.  I downloaded both the Alps driver from the Dell website and the Synaptics driver from the Synaptics website.  The Synaptics driver wouldn't work at all.  I really need this issue to be resolved.

122 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 22:00

I don't know if your i6000d laptops use a different touchpad to my i6000 but here is what my touchpad driver reports:

Alps Pointing-device Driver Control Panel

(C) Alps Electric Co., Ltd. 1998-2005

Version 5.4.104.4

This is not what my system shipped with - I upgraded it and gained the "Disable Touch Pad when USB pointing device is present" option.

P.S. When I go to the Dell support site and select drivers for an Inspiron 6000 I am only offered two Input Device Drivers:

1) Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer    1/11/2006   5.4.104.4, A10

2) Premium Optical Mouse          8/22/2006   A01

I would uninstall the Synaptics driver and install the Alps one.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 16:00

I don't know if your i6000d laptops use a different touchpad to my i6000 but here is what my touchpad driver reports:

Alps Pointing-device Driver Control Panel

(C) Alps Electric Co., Ltd. 1998-2005

Version 5.4.104.4

This is not what my system shipped with - I upgraded it and gained the "Disable Touch Pad when USB pointing device is present" option.

P.S. When I go to the Dell support site and select drivers for an Inspiron 6000 I am only offered two Input Device Drivers:

1) Alps GlidePoint/StickPointer    1/11/2006   5.4.104.4, A10

2) Premium Optical Mouse          8/22/2006   A01

Thx man. It works.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2009 17:00

Thanks!  I hadn't thought to uninstall the Synaptics driver when I installed the Alps one.  That was the key!

1 Message

June 14th, 2009 20:00

Thank you all.  Downloading ALPS worked for me!

2 Posts

October 12th, 2009 17:00

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420. I just got through reinstalling the whole operating system because it just broke down on me one day. Everythings seems to be working ok, but the scroll on my touchpad doesn't work. I have reinstalled the system twice. Will the driver mentioned here work for my laptop or do I need to download a different driver? If so, where can I find it? Thanks.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2009 17:00

thats a great question  you can try to install  windows xp service pack 2  or windows vista  is much better

2 Posts

October 13th, 2009 04:00

I'll try that. Thanks.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2009 05:00

Hello, I found solution to this so I really want to share it with the forum. I had the same problem: after the OS reinstallment, the touchpad did not scroll ((. So!! I downloaded drivers from Synaptics and it did not help scrolling!!!! here is what I did that worked PERFECTLY, maybe my experience will help others: 1. I went to the Dell - Support - Drivers and Downloads 2. found my computer (Dell Latitude D600) thru the Chose a Model. 3. Waited till the web site recognizes my Windows XP 4. Chose Mouse&Keyboards in the Category 5. It suggested ALPS Touch Pad 6. Install Alps following the instructions. BINGO! I have my SCROLLING BACK!!! And it is genuine dell's one, so I trust it ) (after restarting computer it asked me to delete the previous driver (synaptics))

No Events found!