Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2010 20:00

Typing from the keyboard is slow, it can't keep up

Hi all, 

I'm having problems with my new alienware laptop when typing. I have just received it from Dell but for some reason, i reinstalled Windows 7 ultimate and the drivers.

When I type with my normal speed, the keyboard can't keep up! I went to the control panel and adjusted the speed rate of the keyboard to its max speed meaning: 

repeat delay: short (dragged to the right most knot)
repeat rate: Fast (right most also) 

But it didn't work. 

Sometimes, when I press multiple "a" keys, I stroke 4 but only 2 letters appear. This is applicable to "ALL" keys, not just "a". I also tried to strike the keys moderately and it still does the same thing.

If i press and hold a key, the letters appear in the screen, but not as smooth as i press a key in "On-Screen Keyboard."

So i formated the hard drive, i installed windows 7 ultimate again, installed the correct chipset and keyboad drivers, but the problem was not solved. This happens in al programs, like Internet Explorer, Notepad, Wordpd...

What can it be? defective motherboard?

This is the specs of my laptop:
Alienware M17x-R2 / core i7 820 / 8 ram ddr3 / 2x500 hd RAID-0
Windows 7 Ultimate
External mouse installed
No other external devices installed.

Thanks!

5.2K Posts

July 1st, 2010 22:00

Another possibility is disabling the Instant Office feature of the Media Direct program.

Also disable ATI "Hot Key Poller" service.

Also try removing the battery. A failing battery appears to cause this sometimes. Some have had luck disabling "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Battery" in the Device Manager. If either works, get a new battery.

Do some web searching; there's a lot out there on this. Interesting, many with Dells.

These things have worked for some!!!

2 Posts

July 1st, 2010 21:00

Yes, i installed the correct chipset driver. i tried 2 diferent versions.: 1 from the alinware resource dvd , and other from dell site.

PCMservice is not runnning. i looked up in task manager and msconfig.

All drives are correct in device manager. there is no error notification.

System Idle Process is 98 in task manager. So there is no process using a lot of CPU...

Maybe if i install a new BIOS version?

Thanks Kirkd

5.2K Posts

July 1st, 2010 21:00

When you installed Win 7 did you install all the necessary chipset driver? The chipset driver is critical.

Check msconfig to see if PCMService.exe is running. Disable it if it is running.

Go to the device Manager and check that the keyboard driver is installed correctly.

Check the Services in Task Manager to see if anything is using up most of the CPU time.

Lots of other possibilities. I had this happen once for a couple of days, couldn't find a problem, and then the problem disappeared. 

1 Message

January 23rd, 2015 23:00

Thank You.. I got it

No Events found!