Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 20th, 2008 16:00

Ubuntu vs. Window XP

I recently received My Dell Mini 9 which I ordered with Ubuntu as the OS. I have a Windows XP disk that I purchased a few years ago for another PC. Is it possible to install XP on my Mini 9 and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

315 Posts

December 20th, 2008 18:00

:^/ Since the Dell Mini 9 supports both OS's, a Dell OEM version of Windows XP should intall on your Mini 9.  And of course, there should be no trouble installing a retail version.

Mind you, you'll need either a second license to use XP, or you'll need to uninstall XP from the PC it originally was installed on.  Say, if you've upgraded that one to Vista, for example.  You'd just be playing hand-me-down with the OS's.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2008 11:00

Thanks You so much!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2008 07:00

Quite correct.

Why change to XP from Ubuntu anyways? You can do almost anything on Linux faster and better than under XP. :P

1.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2008 07:00

" Mind you, you'll need either a second license to use XP, or you'll need to uninstall XP from the PC it originally was installed on."

This is only authorized for Retail copies of the OS as the OEM preinstalled by Dell are licensed for Only The Original System MotherBoard it was installed on. You cannot move it to another system and remain withing the end user license agreement.

"Say, if you've upgraded that one to Vista, for example. You'd just be playing hand-me-down with the OS's."

This is not in accordance with the EULA either. When you upgrade you cannot re-use the original OS on another system.

Sorry for the bad news..

pcgeek11 

No Events found!