Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 27th, 2017 15:00

Update BIOS without Battery?

Hi

I want to update my BIOS

But it says that power supply AND battery must be plugged.

My battery died long time ago. So I had to pull it out, otherwise the laptop did not start.

What can I do to update the BIOS anyway?

How long will the update take? I know there is a risk if suddenly there is a power outage, which happens quite often. But if it just takes a couple of minutes, I might take the risk.

Thanks

Inspiron 3437

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2017 05:00

Chrisadell,

If you lose power while updating there is always a possibility that you could brick the motherboard. It would then need to be replaced. If possible, replace the battery prior to updating the bios. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 30th, 2017 07:00

To my knowledge, you don’t get the choice to take the risk on this. You need the battery installed or the update won’t run. If you don’t want to do that, do you really need this particular BIOS update? And for what it’s worth, Dell and even other manufacturers warn against running a system without a battery installed even if you’re always on AC power. For example, some models will actually draw battery power even while connected via AC when they’re under heavy load, although I don’t know if this is true of your system.

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

October 30th, 2017 09:00

Well, the fact is that I can't get a new battery here, because standalone batteries are not shipped anymore by air. It's even not possible to ship a small powerbank...

Rather I will buy an UPS locally, so in case of power outage, I should be ok.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

Ok, but I think the BIOS update will still refuse to run unless it sees a battery installed in the system, so even though a UPS would cover your risk, it doesn't mean you'll be able to run the BIOS update.

No Events found!