Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2011 16:00

VOSTRO 1710 Windows XP and Vista Installation problem

Hi.  I am trying do a clean install of Windows. I have tried both Windows XP and Vista. Both do the same thing.  I have tried to install on an existing hard drive and also a brand new HD.  When trying to install Windows XP, it goes through the initial format and driver file install. When it gets to 100% and does the restart, it doesn't go on to the second part of the installation when you actually see Windows XP Logos and the install process. It just reboots to the initial portion of the installation.  

Any ideas?  I am a computer tech and have never seen this happen with a new drive.  I ran all the built in diagnostics in the computer.  Thanks.. My email address is <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 18th, 2011 18:00

Hello Abby

Sorry to hear that you have been having these problems.  So I would first run diagnostics on the system, both the hard dive and the memory.  To run diags start the system tapping F12 and choose diagnostics,  Run the automated PSA diags and once they are finished choose hardware diags, custom tests and choose HDD and memory.  For the memory test you can run multiple iterations over night if you like to get a good reading.  If possible test the optical drive and make sure that it can read disks correclty.

If the system passes diags then you may have to delete all the partitions on the drive.  Since Vista has a different version of NTFS then XP, the XP disk wont be able to see the partition and that may be part of the problem that you are having.  You could boot to a VISTA disk and delete all partitions then try the XP disk.  The following link may be of some help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

At this point if all else is failing I would consider contacting tech support if the system is under warranty as the hard drive will likely need to be replaced.

TB

No Events found!