Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

April 7th, 2006 02:00

Vista 5308 on Inspiron E1705 w/ RADEON X1400 -- video driver problem

I just installed Vista 5308 on a new Inspiron E1705 with the 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 video adapter upgrade, and I'm not able to get the driver to install.  I downloaded the beta driver from
ati.com and it failed to install.

Dell claims this laptop model is Vista compatible.  The laptop is, but this adapter appears not to be
at this time.  So if you're scoping one of these out for Vista development, you might think again.

Other than the video issue, the laptop's playing nicely with Vista so far - just no Vista Aero.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2006 18:00

I have an E1505 with X1400 video card running Windows XP Media Center that came with the laptop. I can not get any drivers to install from ati.com, not even the standard windowx xp media center drivers for radeon. Help?

4 Posts

April 7th, 2006 23:00

Thanks for the reply.  I found the same thing - can't get the X1400 driver from ati.com to install on XP either.  That's definitely a strong clue.

If I knew why the drivers don’t install from the ATI support site, I might be able to get their Vista driver to install.

I downloaded the driver from Dell’s support site and installed it on a clean XP install with no problem.  Go figure.

22 Posts

April 8th, 2006 00:00

Did you try Omega Drivers?

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

3 Posts

April 8th, 2006 00:00

It seems that ATI's drivers do not support the laptop platform and only Dell's drivers will work. However, dell updates them so infrequently. I found a 3rd party driver site for nvidia laptop cards such as the 6800go and 7800gtx that updates them frequently but none for ATI. Anyone know of any?

3 Posts

April 8th, 2006 02:00

Nice, thanks for the find. Do you know how to tell what versions of the catalyst drivers dell's version is? The numbering system seems to be very different where Dell's start with 8 and the ATI's start with 3.

22 Posts

April 8th, 2006 04:00

Not sure how to tell what version dell uses, but I'm betting they are behind by about 6 months to a year.
No Events found!