Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2012 09:00

Webcam not detected in Dell Inspiron 14z

I have a Dell Inspiron 14z (N411Z ).  My integrated webcam is not visible in the device manager and there are no undetected devices or question marks either.  I have tried everything so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 18th, 2012 21:00

ajoop10,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support

Rick

2 Posts

November 19th, 2012 05:00

The same thing is happening to my daughter's 14z. Her webcam worked a week ago and now it is no longer detected. The only changes that have occurred since it last worked are Windows updates. I tried reverting with System Restore, but it was not activated and there were no saved restore points. When I look at the Device Manager, there isn't any Imaging Devices category in the list. Has anyone else seen this who has applied Windows updates to their 14z?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 19th, 2012 13:00

Joe Bob,

Did you try creating a new unrestricted user account?

The other option is the webcam came loose from the motherboard, usually at the top of the screen, near the webcam. The connection is where most people open their laptop screen.

Rick

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 12:00

I was just able to get access to her computer and tried creating a new account as well opening up the cover to make sure the webcam is firmly seated....still no luck.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 16:00

Joe Bob,

If under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support. If not under warranty, try unplugging the webcam and plugging it back in.

Rick

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2012 01:00

hello, i have exactly the same problem.... no imaging device and the support doesn't give me any drivers for the webcam... the chat support told me to follow the steps above but it doesn't work

zack

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 11:00

zack,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

If your computer is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support

Rick

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 08:00

I had this same problem and I think it happened after a windows update and the solutions posted here were not helping, but I did find a solution and wanted to share to see if it will work for others.

Go to the Microsoft Fix It page here http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

(I think I just skipped the section under #1)

Under 2 select "Play games, music or sounds, pictures or video"

Under 3 hit the button for "Run Now" next to "Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows"

It will download a trouble shooting .exe  I ran it and it said something about hardware devices having been changed but not scanned, clicked okay, and when it was done I had my webcam back.

Hope this helps someone else.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2013 01:00

thanks for your tip, but unfortunately this did not work... actually my webcam suddenly started working again about 2 weeks ago and i thought the problem was resolved... after about a week it suddenly stopped again and i don't know why.... zack

January 25th, 2013 15:00

i have a lactop 14z (n411z) 64 bit i have a problem web cam it is not working when i tried to open web cam  it will show web cam not conected or not found. i tried to down load web cam driver but i could not get driver for this model. and also ihave a problem with my destop gadgets. it willnot show in my destop. i opened gadgets but not showing.anybody have an idea pls help me. thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2013 10:00

Tika ram ghimire,

Go to Control panel, programs and features and uninstall Dell Webcam Central.

Download this file, also know as Dell Webcam Central Version 1.40.05

Does the webcam work?

Try Test Webcam What happens?

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Try reading...

Is your computer is under warranty?

Rick

February 15th, 2013 08:00

i uninstalll web cam driver and download that drivers but still having same problem. also i reinstall windows but still having same problem thanks for suggestion.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2013 09:00

Tika ram ghimire,

Since you installed the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

I would say the webcam came loose from the motherboard, usually at the top of the screen, near the webcam.

If your system is under warranty, contatc Dell Tech Support.

Rick 

March 2nd, 2013 09:00

and my operating system is windows 8

March 2nd, 2013 09:00

hello

I have the laptop inspiron 14z-N14z , and I have problem in my webcam it work for 1 week then not work again !  , when I open the Dell webcam central appear to me ( please plug a supported device ) !!

No Events found!