Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 17th, 2013 00:00

Weird white line?

I got my Studio 15 laptop back from the Dell Depot a week ago after getting the hinge repaired, and now there's this weird white line on the left side of my screen. It's not particularly solid, but noticeable, especially on light colored websites.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the display may have been damaged during shipping to the Dell Depot or coming back. I never had this problem before sending it there.

Is the only option here to replace the screen?

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi KD92,

You can try using your system in ‘Safe mode with Networking’ and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Steps to access ‘Safe mode with Networking’: 

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Tap the F8 key on the keyboard during the boot process until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.
  3. Select “Safe Mode with Networking” from the menu using the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press the key.
  4. Select the user account at the log in screen.

Check if the issue persists there.

To be sure about the issue with LCD, you can check if the computer works perfectly fine with external monitor. Also, you can run a test on the LCD of your computer to be sure of that You can watch the detailed steps and how to run LCD BIST from link: http://dell.to/R6XKBV

Please reply for further clarifications. 

9 Posts

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Thanks for your reply, Chinmay S.

The problem does infact persist in safe mode but goes away when I connect it to my LCD TV. I  just ran the LCD BIST and the line is still present. I also forgot to mention that this isn't a straight line, it's squiggly or curvy.

1.8K Posts

January 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi KD92,

It appears to be an issue with LCD of your computer and need replacement. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with information. 

No Events found!