Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

February 4th, 2006 09:00

Where is the Password Jumper?

I know this forum is for Inspiron but  I coudn't see anything for Latitude.

I have bought a used Lattitute D600 from someone that says they forgot their BIOS Password but that I could go online for instructions on how to reset it.  I read in the knowlege base here that I needed to remove a jumper located on the system board in order to reset the forgotten BIOS Password.  So I have dissasmbled my Lattitude D600 and I see no jumper anywhere.  And there is nothing in either the User Guide or Service Manual that states where this jumper (or switch) for the BIOS Password is located.

I hope I did not buy this computer and can never use it. I'm at my wits ends. Can anyone please tell me PRECISELY where the jumper is located.

Thanks

14.4K Posts

February 4th, 2006 09:00

no such jumper on that model.

The only way out is for the previous owner to come up with the BIOS password or you'll be out of luck as I suspect that he has not transferred the change of ownership details to Dell.

6.4K Posts

February 4th, 2006 16:00

By the way; you will find the Latitude board under the Business Systems heading.

February 4th, 2006 23:00

Thanks for the reply guys,

It's hard to believe they would design a laptop with no way to get back in if the password is forgotten. That's rediculous! There must be some way to reset the BIOS.  Any sugesstions. I'll try anything at this point. I wonder what a new system board cost?  Probably not worth the cost on a old laptop.

February 5th, 2006 00:00

Thanks for the reply guys,

It's hard to believe they would design a laptop with no way to get back in if the password is forgotten. That's rediculous! There must be some way to reset the BIOS.  Any sugesstions. I'll try anything at this point. I wonder what a new system board cost?  Probably not worth the cost on a old laptop.

4.4K Posts

February 5th, 2006 01:00

that to prevent a person trying to use a stolen.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2006 18:00

Hello, try this program:

http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/61/61224.htm

It asks for your service tag, then tells you what the backdoor password for your laptop is. It worked for me.

4.4K Posts

February 8th, 2006 01:00

slypspeed, that's a no no. you will probably be band from this site.
No Events found!