Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 18:00

Wifi wireless-n 1030 - Does not connect to router

Hi. Could someone tell me why Dell keeps selling the inspiron 15r models having the faulty wireless-n 1030 card?

I've just opened the new laptop, havent installed any applications or changed any settings, only updated to the latest wifi drivers and IT JUST DOES NOT WORK, OK???? HOW CAN'T DELL PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR AN ISSUE REPORTED MONTHS AGO??

I've checked all your magic workarounds, but none seems to work with this model. great customer experience.

that's the last item i'm buying from dell.

500 Posts

April 11th, 2012 19:00

JS, thanks for posting a link to your issue in the other thread. I would be happy to try and help you resolve the issue with the resources that I do have.

Before going further, please let me know what troubleshooting steps you have had the change to pursue on your own, with tech support, or with anyone. I want to make sure I am not making you jump through the same hoops. I would also like to know which "magic workarounds" you have attempted.

Please elaborate further on your issue,a s I am unaware of the particular issue you are referring to. I have included some other steps and info requests below, but in general the more info you can provide...the better :)

As of right now, how are you connecting to the internet? I assume by an Ethernet cable.

The other step I would like you to do would be to make sure that your card is being recognized properly. Open start menu, right click on 'computer', and then click 'properties'.

From there, you should be able to click 'Device manager" in the top left corner.

From there, expand "network adapters" and let me know what listings you have under there.

Lets start there, before going further.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The magic solutions i've tried are the actual workarounds that the _users_ have managed to find how to make it work, while dell pretends this issue to be nonexistent for the past months. Dell's way of solving such issues is "search the forums, you might find something there, as we dont care since you've now purchased the product".

ok, i'm curious to have a look at this..... the system is the installation one, just purchased it today.

Dell inspiron q15r:

bluetooth device (rfcomm protocol tdi)

intel centrino wireless-n 1030

microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter #2

realtek pcie fe family controller

microsoft wifi virtual miniport

bluetooth (personal network)

now what?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

and i'm not using a cable to connect to the internet through inspiron, i'm using another laptop....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 20:00

UPDATE:

it seems it cant connect EVEN WITH THE CABLE!!! it's almost unbeliavable!!!

if you try to turn on the wifi through the fn + f2 it will make the router disconnect, it will even disconnect my ethernet connection on the current laptop!! how's that possible??

the explanation is pretty much like in this message: en.community.dell.com/.../19877759.aspx

500 Posts

Well first off, might I ask you to leave the sarcasm at the door. It does not help us resolve your issue, and I am absolutely understanding in the frustration that you have been experiencing.

So lets recap the issue here so that I know we are all on the same page.

You have a Dell Inspiron 15r that cant connect to your router through wifi or hardwire.

You purchased today

When you try and connect it shuts down router connections to your 15r and other computer.

Your card is intel centrino wireless-n 1030

You say you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers

Is that about right?

BTW, how did you install the latest drivers, as your original posting suggests, if you cant connect at all?

Did it work temporarily, or did you manually transfer files over?

Also, please do me a favor and let me know which driver version you are running?

Have you tried connecting without the router?

To the modem directly?

To another wifi connection or internet connection?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yes to all the above.

i managed to connect through wifi, after i had not enabled the WPA2 password for my router. Then it would connect after a few times trying. Because I searched the next immediately about it, I considered installing only the wifi drivers from windows update. Then, for a few times it would connect, and I would remove the current network from the list and repeat the process to see that it's working right.

Now, it's not working at all, and if I try to connect in any way to my router it gets a reset (!!!). No, it cant connect even on the other wifi networks available. With a different password it should display incorrect password, but all it says it it cant connect to that network and it cant even recognize why. There's no modem, only a router.

version 14.2.0.10

500 Posts

April 11th, 2012 21:00

For some reason my other post didnt show, but would you mind taking a screen shot of what your device manager is showing. Windows 7 should have a snipping tool. Its handy in many cases. 

I am also curious as to your exact internet setup. The issue you have seems to be the incompatibility between the power saving modes of windows and the network adapter and the AP/router you are connected to. 

Would you mind letting me know how you are setup? 

DSL, Cable, Sattelite...

Like I am setup as Wall Outlet>coax cable>splitter>other coax cable>motorola cable modem>ethernet cable>linksys wtg model router>wireless g signal. 

Just in case you need it at a later date, or to download on your current computer to move to the 15r to install, here is the link to the driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R311898&FileId=2731118922&productCode=inspiron-15r-n5110&urlProductCode=False

and just so we have it listed for others to review in case they are experiencing the issue as well, here is the intel information on the issue (as pulled from your linked posting)

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Also, have you attempted hard wiring to a different AP/Router/Modem?

The issue tends to be a wifi only issue, and your issue seems to have a port issue as well. 

Where did you purchase your system at?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2012 05:00

The correct link for drivers is this, downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx, and not the one you mentioned because my system -as the subjects says- has faulty wireless-n 1030 card on it.

Let's just dont start dealing with the cables, it's not a cable issue, because I have a 2-year dell netbook that is working and connecting fine. What do cables has to do with the issue, this sounds like "your wifi card will only work on specified cable installations".

as for the settings here, www.intel.com/.../cs-006205.htm, they are already to maximum performance.

I've managed to connect through cable to the internet, and then downloaded drivers version 15.1.0.18, which now does not display this weired item in the device manager.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2012 06:00

Adding to this, i've checked through the internet with a cable the intel website and it says after autochecking that my driver is the current one, 15.1.0.18. I can connect with cable, but if I try to connect with the router, it gets a reset. I'm not going to buy a new router for the new laptop, it MUST be able to work like the dell-mini with the current router which is the ISPs choice and having the newest firmware upgrades.

Now the device manager only has a bluetooth device in the bluetooth section, and an intel wireless n in the network section.

You should not be suprized PhoenixBennu that customers come here and they "appear to not want to try to solve it". Customers come here in anger because these are previously known issues (en.community.dell.com/.../19877759.aspx), because they have already searched the forums for solutions, when instead dell should be releasing formal guidelines for common issues, and because there's a product with faulty hardware right out of the box. Dell support seems to be getting everyone in the same pool of customers, like they did change something they should not, but they dont seem to want to recognize already known issues.

That's why.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2012 17:00

Wall Outlet>splitter>thomson 585 router>wireless g signal.

can you tell me what does this have to do with the issue?

And about the router, I've also tried to connect to other networks available here. It also cant connect to these networks and win 7 cant recognize the reason for it. So it's not my router, it's everyone's router that does the same. Which is why I believe it's the wifi device.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

common issues can be defined as issues where you can find many results in a search engine talking about pretty much the same thing, and talking about the same hardware. Example common issues exist for example with the new ipad 3, and that's something apple has delt with by providing users with an official response. That's called customer care.

if you search the net with "intel wireless 1030 problems", doesnt it seem like a common problem from the results? And add to this that at least intel *does* have an official response (although a workaround working for only a few) for its device. From a customer point of view, the computer manufacturer is supposed to assemble such common questions.

so, recaping my answers, it seems that the cable is indeed working properly as long as the wifi adapter is not turned on.

what do you mean where I bought the system from? from a store in EU.

why do I have to try other access points? suddenly the router which has been working fine for years is not good for the new laptop? I thought it's newer computers that have to be compatible with previous hardware, not the other way around...

it's phone line cable > filter > thomson 585. that's how it works in 90% of customers here.

i think the above answers your questions.

500 Posts

I know firsthand that there is a push to identify known issues, and in businesses of tech there always is. Most people assume that a known issue should be front page news, but the fact is that every bit of tech ever made has a nice long list of known issues. The concern is about how frequently those issues arise, and whether that frequency warrants more attention than the normal troubleshooting processes already have in place.

The concern about hardwiring here is that you have made comment that hardwiring through ethernet tends to cause the same issues that connecting through wifi does, and that is outside the symptoms of the known issues. So my concern is that the known issues you believe are plaguing your system may not be the actual root cause.

The other concern is that many of the questions I am asking seem to be avoided in being answered, so it does add some confusion to solving your issue. So do me a favor and please go back and answer some of these questions without generic vague answers so that I can get a better feel for your issue: I may have missed some of your answers, so I apologize if I am being redundant.

Where did you buy your system from?

Have you tried other Access Points?

How is your internet setup (you said no modem, only router, and that doesnt seem to mesh)?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2012 19:00

I should be grateful that I just bought a laptop with a non-working device, through the pool of all other manufacturers, you're right. By the way, I didnt know that technical support is at the discression of the service team.

even so, havent I replied to the questions asked about the device? what about all the other answers from people who have a different style of writing?

Frankly, do you believe it's fun trying to solve an issue or that's something users like to do? have you wondered if this new laptop is affecting the work of somebody?

anyway, if this issue gets fixed, then I'm willing to support dell for the help.

ieee488, thanks for noting this.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 12th, 2012 19:00

Wall Outlet>splitter>thomson 585 router>wireless g signal.

can you tell me what does this have to do with the issue?

And about the router, I've also tried to connect to other networks available here. It also cant connect to these networks and win 7 cant recognize the reason for it. So it's not my router, it's everyone's router that does the same. Which is why I believe it's the wifi device.

You are really lucky somebody wants to help you.

Frankly, with your attitude, others are turned off and aren't even bothering.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2012 20:00

i'll call a dell technician to have a look at the device, then let you know.

No Events found!