Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2015 12:00

Windows 10 Bricked Inspiron

Hello,

On the recent build on 10156 the system restarted and then bricked itself.

It's an Inspiron 2014 7536(possibly can't check as bricked).

I get as far as the Dell Logo on startup. Leaving this alone the screen never changes(left overnight).

If I press F2 the screen flickers and hangs. Left overnight also.

If I press F12 the same thing happens as above.

I've removed the battery, held down the power button trying to drain the system but nothing. Today I remove the CMOS battery but nothing.

I can restart by holding FN taking me to the PSA test and there's no hardware issues.

I don't know what the issue is and Microsoft just replied saying Windows 10 Preview is at my own risk so tough luck basically.

Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance.

July 4th, 2015 02:00

Solved!

I've fixed the issue no thanks to Microsoft or Dell(No warranty left so can't blame Dell) and Nobody supports Win 10...................not even Microsoft over the phone who are next to useless.

I had a 14z Dell knocking around and thankfully both Hard drives were interchangable(it was risky) just had to change over the drive bracket(2-4 screws).

Beware dismantling Laptops and they can be tricky. I actually worked for Dell assembling Laptops years back so was a little ahead of the game.

When the 14z was put into the 15R it believed it was downgrading itself to Win 8.1 so installed correct drivers for the 15R. I put the Hard drive(suspect one)from the 15R into the 14z and it proceeded to load itself as a new installed operating system with 10.1 downloading drivers etc for the system it was now in.

When both were finished, I swapped the brackets back over and put the Hard drives back into the systems they came from and It's back to Normal. Typing again on my 7537 now.

Am I any the wiser of what happened? Nope

Have I switched Preview Builds to "Slow"? Yes

Were all my files safe and secure when I got back to normal? Thankfully yes

For those with the same 7537 Inspiron with an Nvidia Card, this is the common issue I have. Anytime I get an update and it won't load I load into Safe mode, uninstall the Card/Driver and restart and it works again. I nearly have to do this every time the system restarts. I'm aware this is a difficulty for folks now because of the black screens.

That was my solution, lucky I had a "spare" albeit broken 14z.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2015 11:00

I've managed to "solve" the problem.

Firstly I updated to a new BIOS, the A13 BIOS. Upgrading to Win 10 build 10162 still wouldn't boot but now I could get into BIOS.

I Disabled Secure Boot and now Win 10 successfully booted and continued with the upgrade.

So not being able to get into BIOS after build 10162 was probably due to a fix in A13 BIOS. And the inabillity to boot into Win 10 10162 is a problem with Secure Boot.

780 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Windows 10 preview builds are always released with a disclaimer about data loss .

Can you post a picture in the reply? I can try finding a fix

However we are most likely to end up in factory restore or a reset and start over again with Windows 8.1

Thank you

July 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not too concerned about data loss because I have an external backup of important documents.

The data is still in there. It's an OS corruption caused during the restart/install.

I don't have a picture. It's a black screen following the pressing of F2 or F12. The only accessible screen is the PSA test by holding FN on restart.

I wouldn't mind booting using a USB ISO but seeing as I cannot access f12 boot options I'm lost.

July 3rd, 2015 20:00

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my inspiron 7537  I'm using the windows 10 tech preview and have had no issues until this most recent update. Now when I boot the laptop it hangs on the dell logo screen. When I try to get to set up menu F2  the screen will flicker and hang on a blank page   I get the same thing when attempting to access boot menu F12   when I run the ePSA  everything passes and I get the same results when I exit the test..    I have back up copies of my files, installation media    bootable usb  etc..  but I cannot access BIOS to use any of them.   Can you please help?  Anything will be greatly appreciated as Microsoft doesn't seem too interested in helping

2 Posts

July 8th, 2015 12:00

I had the exact same issue. The exact same symptoms. Also a Dell 7537. But with build 10162 and that one IS released to slow ring.

I did the same troubleshooting and diagnostics with no errors detected.

However, clearing the CMOS (removing CMOs battery for 30 mins) did reset CMOS and on boot warned that the clock was wrong and acctually let me go into BIOS. There I change boot order to first boot from USB (Windows Boot Loader was set to first).

Finally I could boot from USB.

I tried following soloutions and none worked. Mainly because at some time the computer needs to boot up into the OS and it then changes boot order back to Windows Boot Loader... wich was still broken.

Soloutions:

Repair startup; got message that it could not be repaired.
Reset
Restore

What did work was to do a full factory reset and choosing to wipe all and everything. That got my Dell back to win 8.1 and 153 updates to install from WU ;P

Just for fun I tried to upgrade that newly update install to Win 10 .. BAM! Same Issue. So right now waiting for CMOS to clear ;)

Something is really not right here.

No Events found!