Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2012 12:00

Windows 7 Sidebar icons missing after uninstalling McAfee

Uninstalled McAfee Security SW and then the Windows 7 sidebar (Gadgets) no longer display or work correctly.  I just see a small box with an (i) in it where the icons use to be.  Still able to choose and add Gadgets on my desktop, but then they show up as a small box with an(i) in it as described above.  Don't want to use restore function to get it back since I really wanted to replace McAfee with Norton.  Any ideas would be appreciated. 

1 Message

January 6th, 2013 15:00

I had the same problem. This is apparently a well known McAfee problem... It''s a pity that Dell seems to be so clueless, since they put this crappy software on our computers!

For the solution, see:

service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx

In short, after removing McAfee via the Windows Control Panel, I then ran the tool from:

download.mcafee.com/.../MCPR.exe

and after a reboot all of the gadgets worked fine (Windows 7 64 bit).

2K Posts

December 24th, 2012 08:00

Hi TLway,

I will be glad to assist you. Request you to give more information about the issue:

(1) When the Gadget appears on the screen what exactly happens.

(2) Can you send me a picture of the issue that you are talking about?

Do reply with your findings.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2012 16:00

After removing McAfee the Gadgets no longer display properly on the screen.  In it's place where the gadget was is just a small box with the letter "i" in it.  I assume the i stands for icon.  You can move the box around and place it where ever you want as if it is still a gadget, but if you click on it nothing happens.   I can't take a picture since I ended up doing a restore which brought back Mcafee and the Gadgets.  I still want to remove McAfee, but am hoping there is someone who has experienced this and was able to find a  solution.  

2K Posts

December 30th, 2012 08:00

Hi TLway,

This issue might have happened due to bad video or a software issue. I am assuming that the issue is fixed after system restore.

I would also recommend you to update drivers.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for your help rshelq!  Running MCPR did the trick.  When I I originally saw Mcaffe's site indicating to run MCPR, they give you the impresssion that it is only for keeping straight the license authorizations.  It would be nice of them if they also would explain that it will be needed to keep the gadgets from disappearing.

No Events found!