Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 26th, 2016 00:00

XPS 13 (9350) stuck on Dell logo

Hi all,

A pretty nasty situation, given that this is supposedly a "premium" laptop.

I have here a one day old XPS 13 (9350) MS signature edition from Amazon, bought new. Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage, current BIOS (1.4.4) and drivers (updated right away), windows 10. Everything looked fine until I disabled power-saving features of the graphics (panel self-refresh and power saving mode for games) and then tried to reboot while on battery: it gets stuck right on the Dell logo. Sometimes the rotating Windows thingy appears, but then freezes immediately.

Holding the power button and then cold-starting works. Rebooting does not. Loading BIOS defaults helped reboot once, after which I decided to re-enable the power-saving stuff (thinking that it is what caused it). The reboot after that did not take place either --  got stuck again. I don't know if there's any relationship between these power saving features and what's happening (could be a coincidence).

The problem does not seem to occur while on AC power. 

Any thoughts? As I said before, this is an Amazon purchase, so I can return/exchange it within 30 days. Thanks.

2K Posts

August 26th, 2016 05:00

Hi SHURAKBH,

Rather unfortunate you had to face this situation on a new system.

To confirm, the system has the issue only when on battery. While running on the adapter, it restarts and boots up fine, is that right? 

Is the system stuck on Dell logo everytime or do you see the Windows loading circle spin and then does the system boot into windows or does it restart itself? If possible, could you post a video on YouTube and provide us with the link, so we could review?

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Reset BIOS defaults again, save and exit and check if it boots into Windows.

If possible, perform a factory reset and check - http://dell.to/1XZvpiw 

Try a reset from the recovery options - http://bit.ly/1SaoT6t 

If the system is stuck on Dell logo and does not go any further and you do not see the windows circle spinning, then it might be a hardware issue.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

18 Posts

August 26th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for responding! The machine gets stuck on reboot (but not on cold start) when on battery power in two ways:

1. Dell logo only.

2. Dell logo with the circle below frozen -- no startup.

I will run the diagnostics, but In any case, I am very inclined to just return or exchange -- Amazon makes it fairly easy. Factory-resetting a brand new laptop sounds like something that just should not happen. 

18 Posts

August 26th, 2016 19:00

Okay, I ran the diagnostics, passed without any issues. After this, the laptop started to boot normally on battery.

I decided to recreate the problem and disable both power-saving features for Intel graphics, followed by a reboot. Low and behold, the problem was back: when on battery power, the Dell logo appeared, then the rotating circle span for a fraction of a second and froze permanently. Sorry, I won't be recording videos for something that can be trivially described in words.

Only for the brave & computer literate 9350 owner members of the community: could you guys try following my scenario and see if the same behavior occurs? The issue disappears right after you toggle both of the power options back to 'enable' and then load BIOS defaults. If this boot issue is recreated by more people than just myself, Dell really needs to be aware.

2K Posts

August 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi SHURAKBH,

Thank you for the update.

Well, it might be a possible driver corruption that might be causing this behavior.

If you have already decided to initiate a system return, then alright skip the below part.

If you choose to isolate the source of the issue and try a resolution, then read on:

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2bogxO8 and reinstall the chipset and video drivers from the same site.

If the issue still exists, then create a local admin account and check - http://bit.ly/1JoFhcw

18 Posts

August 27th, 2016 15:00

Well, I've been trying to give it another chance instead of returning, so I followed the first part of your advice. I updated BIOS, then chipset drivers, then the graphics driver. Restarted as requested by the installers.

After that, I disconnected AC power, toggled the power saving options of the graphics module, and the problem was back right away. Once again, the machine reboots perfectly fine on AC power. The problem only occurs on battery power.

I think this may be at the limit of effort I'd like to put into fixing the issue. However, it would be interesting if you guys could recreate the problem by following my steps. If it turns out that this happens not just to me, maybe exchanging the laptop is not even needed. I'll just keep the laptop and never toggle power saving options again. :)

What do you think? Thanks.

2K Posts

August 28th, 2016 06:00

Hi SHURAKBH,

Thank you for the response.

Well, in order for us to replicate the issue in our labs and find a solution, we would need some info about the same. 

So, I would need the service tag of the system, your contact details, the Intel driver version and the chipset drivers version, screenshot of the current graphic settings that you have made and a video of the issue that occurs. Based on this, we could pass on the info to our REC team and they would work on it and advise an optimal resolution if there is indeed an issue with the model or if the issue is isolated to your machine only.

18 Posts

August 28th, 2016 13:00

I sent you a private message with the requested info. Please don't be confused by the start menu in the video. I can't stand the win 10 start menu, so I am using Classic Shell. ;)

No Events found!