Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2017 15:00

XPS 13 9365 2 in 1 CABC and other issues

I have the new xps 13 9365 and it has several issues.  Wifi disconnects and won't re-acquire the internet without first disconnecting, device won't sleep with lid closed(battery massively discharges) and the biggest problem is the CABC or inability to disable the auto brightness control that constantly changes.  I know there was an update for the older xps 13 so it would be great if this could be rolled out for this model as well.  I already had to swap the first one because it had a physical flaw and wouldn't sit level.  

Overall it's a really nice piece of hardware, but suffering from some issues.  I've updated all the drivers, bios and windows updates.

1 Message

April 14th, 2017 02:00

you can disable the auto brightness control on white levels using this dell utility:

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 15th, 2017 17:00

I am thinking about getting one of those units but if you have seen some of the comments about a Bios upgrade for the 9360 messing up the M.2 PCIe drives you might not want to jump just yet..

You have an Intel 8265 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device.  Win 10  has been having problems lately with maintaining a network connection.  I haven't had any of those type problems myself on any of my machines and it doesn't seem a new Intel device would either.  Are you seeing any messages in the Event Viewer when it happens?  Maybe the massive battery drain is involved some how.

The auto brightness control is in the Advanced settings of the power scheme under Display.  Is that what isn't working?  Have you found the sensor for the ambient light?

The lid closing option is there also so maybe that part doesn't work either.  The sleep situation is normally tied directly to a video driver.  Do your Display adapter/s show any problems and no Microsoft Basic devices shown?

Is this a as from the factory install and no changes which may be having some effect?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 17th, 2017 05:00

Hi cd1000,

Thanks for posting.

In researching this for you, I don't see a lot of information regarding the issues you're having.  While it does sound like it's OS related, there might be a driver issue as well.  Please try the troubleshooting tips in this article: http://dell.to/2jFtAty

Additionally, if your purchase was in the USA and you're within 30 days, you are entitled to software troubleshooting over the phone as part of the warranty, if it's past 30 days, then there would be a fee.  The hardware warranty (if it's a hardware problem) will be in effect for the time period you purchased, you can call and troubleshoot to decide if it's software or hardware related.

9 Posts

January 25th, 2017 11:00

"Wifi disconnects and won't re-acquire the internet without first disconnecting, device won't sleep with lid closed(battery massively discharges) " this is also happening to me as well with the 9365.

21 Posts

January 26th, 2017 06:00

Just to follow up on mine. The screen on the laptop totally died so I returned it for a refund thankfully. I tried two with no luck so I've moved on to something else.

11 Posts

January 28th, 2017 12:00

Same problems with my XPS 13 9365. In addition, mine also suffers from coil whine.

11 Posts

January 28th, 2017 20:00

I'd like to get DELL-Robert P's input on this one but I went to the Intel website today and it looks like they have a more recent wireless driver than the Dell website has. I downloaded it and am monitoring the connection. Too early to tell for me if it's improved the WiFi or not...

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 28th, 2017 21:00

What WiFi adapter do you have in that system.  Mine has just been shipped so I don't yet know the device installed.  Hopefully, it is not a 3165....

9 Posts

January 29th, 2017 20:00

@John4539 I installed those drivers and it has not fixed the wireless disconnection problem. it also seems like I do not go into connected standby properly. I too have coil whine but have noticed it mostly when I am charging...

January 30th, 2017 22:00

My 9365 has the Intel 8265.

January 30th, 2017 22:00

I have pretty much all of these problems as well, just picked up the 9365 this morning. I would hope/imagine that all of these issues could be fixed with software, and I hope that Dell is doing whatever they can to expedite the releases of said software. The most annoying one is the adpative brightness, it's ridiculously annoying and you'd think Dell would learn from the outrage on previous iterations of the XPS that had this issue.

I want to love this machine ... pretty impressive piece of hardware, it's a shame it's ruined by these things. Let's get some updates to fix these soon, Dell.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 31st, 2017 06:00

My system is supposed to be here Thursday.  I ordered it a week ago Saturday so it has taken more time than I would have expected so maybe there were updating something on the systems.

I am making a list of the problems in this thread.  If anyone has specific conditions, such as before a specific update, I will try to check while the system is being set up.

You folks do have me a little concerned...

As far as the Wi-Fi, my Inspiron 17 2 in 1 is very stable now.  It came originally with a 3265 which I replaced (8260) because of entries (WHEA) about it in the Event Viewer due to Bluetooth.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 5th, 2017 19:00

Got my system two days ago, so..

No brightness situations.

Wi-Fi is rock solid, once I got the network set as Private (8265).

Sleep is normal

No strange sounds..

So far, everything is great.. the pen is even working fine.

March 15th, 2017 14:00

Hi veekta. I'm on the XPS product development team. Are you still having this wifi issue? If so, I'd like to get more details from you.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2017 21:00

thanks! this should be easier to find

No Events found!