Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2017 08:00

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1

Hi there - have a new XPS 13 2-in-1 and I have not yet been able to get the screen to rotate when in tablet mode / tented. I've done plenty of searches and have found the following:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20005069

en.community.dell.com/.../20009342

I have updated the drivers per the other threads, but whenever I run the system detect and update via the Dell website, it comes up saying that I need to update the same driver, again, even though it said it installed successfully.

The one driver that I believe is causing the issue is the "Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver".

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 13:00

Check in the notifications area and see if there is a Rotate block.  If there is, it should allow the system to rotate.

The driver for the Integrated Sensor will not install, possibly because it has some numbers in common or is the same driver.  I just ignore it and my screen rotates normally.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2017 15:00

There's no rotation block / toggle in either desktop or tablet mode.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 17:00

There should also be settings for Rotation on the Settings-System-Display page.  

Rotate the system through different angles and let is sit for a second in each position, 180, 270, 90 degrees.  It may need to calibrate.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 9th, 2017 17:00

OK, mine says Rotation Lock.  It is inactive until you move the lid more than 180 degrees.  When you do that the keyboard should be locked out.

I am assuming you have a new system so all drivers are installed?

If you look at Settings - Notifications, it should show the Rotation Lock block.  When you first rotate the system you should be asked if you want to rotate or not.

There are keyboard commands to change the screen orientation.  I will look for those but if you find them, try changing the screen manually.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2017 11:00

Normal Mode: In Settings / Display, there is only an "Orientation" option, with your normal four choices. No rotation lock anywhere.

in Tablet Mode: Same exact thing - can change orientation via the same selection box, and no "Rotation Lock" anywhere.

I just did this with nothing open on my computer.

How would I go about removing the specific driver software and reinstalling it?

7 Posts

It is a new system, and I have gone through the process of updating drivers multiple times.

In tablet mode (rotated more than 180 degrees), the keyboard is locked out, but there is no Rotation Lock anywhere, including within "Add or Remove Quick Actions" under Settings / "Notifications and Actions".

Additionally, in Settings / "Display", there is no setting for Rotation. Let me know if you have any other ideas - appreciate the help.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If you go back to the Settings and System - Display, there are a Orientation and Rotation Lock option.

In normal mode, can you use the Orientation to change the screen?  In the configuration, if you were to have the Rotation Lock option, it should be locked out.

If you put it in a 2-in-1 mode, the Rotation Lock should be enabled and the Orientation should be locked.

Have you tried Tablet mode, different from Desktop mode, on the system?

As far as I know, all of the drivers related to the screen changing are in the chipset area.  If the system is not going to work, you might try uninstalling and then reinstalling those drivers.

Do you have anything open on your screen which may be keeping it from rotating....?

I suppose we cannot rule out an accelerometer problem with your system or one of the other position sensors.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 11th, 2017 12:00

I will go through the drives to see if I can tell which one it might be.  But for now, open the Device Manager and check to see if there are any Unknown devices or any with a yellow triangle.

If you don't know, open Device Manger using the Winkey+X menu or right click the Start button.

7 Posts

September 13th, 2017 23:00

There are no unknown devices, just confirmed; no yellow triangles either.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 01:00

I just reset my system and the rotation lock square was there.  It looks like all the drivers are in the Chipset section.  Beside the chipset drivers, you certainly need the Intel integrated Sensor driver is important and maybe the Intel Serial IO driver.

If you think you have all the drivers, you might try uninstalling one of those and reinstalling.  Other than that, I don't know what is wrong.  It may be your sensors are not functioning.   The Sensor driver is the original one and will not update, as you know.

I have no more suggestions .. but I will look for older threads since I remember a couple a few months ago.

7 Posts

September 14th, 2017 18:00

Thanks, let me know if you find anything else.

How do I go about uninstalling a specific driver, say, for the integrated sensor?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 14th, 2017 19:00

Well, the Integrated sensor is in the System Devices in the device manager.  If you right click and select uninstall, it should uninstall.  Then try loading the one you download from Dell.  

I just tried installing that driver again and it still says it installs but the version does not change.

I wish I knew what was wrong with your system but you might want to open a service report with them. Your system seems to do everything except know when you are changing its orientation.  

There is also a separate section titled Sensors, which seems to use the Win 10 drivers, whatever they are for.

As long as it isn't working and while waiting for Support, you might pretend it is a steering wheel and keep turning it to different positions.  Maybe it would unlock the part of the sensors which senses rotation and orientation.

7 Posts

September 20th, 2017 10:00

I successfully uninstalled and reinstalled, no change, sadly. Will see what Dell says.

January 4th, 2018 13:00

I am having the EXACT same problem as you including trying to install the new driver but the version never updates.  Did you find a solution?

No Events found!