Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 7th, 2009 17:00

XPS 1340 Windows 7 (64bit) upgrade WebCam not working.

Initially my 1340 came with Vista and then the Windows 7 (64bit) upgrade arrived. I did a clean install of Windows 7 with minimum problems. Now one issue remains. The webcam does not work. 

Scanning with ' Windows Action Center' reveals a problem with an 'unknown device' 'USB host controller' 'port #3' 'Hub #4' 'error code 43'.

In device manager the webcam does not appear and there is an error indicated on one of the USB ports.

I have tried installing drivers for Vista 32bit and 64 bit (knowing that it is not shown that they are compatible with Windows 7 64bit) When trying to install these an error is reported ' 'Error occurred while setting up driver' A search for an appropriate driver for Windows 7 (64 bit) webcam  has been unsuccessful so far.

Any help much appreciated.

thanks Kevin

These are the 2 drivers I've tried.

CREATIVE-LABS_INTEGRATED-WEB_A05_R207341

CREATIVE-LABS_INTEGRATED-WEB_A06_R213648

4 Posts

May 13th, 2010 05:00

So the problem is resolved - it turned out to be a hardware problem. Dell replaced the webcam/display today  and it fixed the problem. :emotion-1:

4.6K Posts

December 8th, 2009 09:00

Welcome to the forums Kevin :emotion-21:

First of all... although it might sound as if I'm being pedantic here... it's important you provide the full model name when looking for help/advice.

I say that, because I couldn't find the "XPS 1340" under XPS laptops, when I tried checking to see if there were Windows 7 drivers for it (/the webcam specifically)?

Turns out - the reason it isn't listed under XPS laptops, is because it's actually a Studio XPS 1340 :emotion-55:

Anyways... although there are drivers available for both Windows 7 32bit and 64bit, on the Studio XPS 1340 'Drivers & Downloads' page, there aren't any Windows 7 drivers offered for the webcam?

I can only assume that's because Dell haven't received Windows 7 drivers from Creative?

And since you've already tried the Vista drivers, I don't know what else to suggest, unfortunately :emotion-6:

Regarding the error message:  It sounds like either a chipset problem... or maybe you haven't installed drivers for the media card reader?

It would be worth either reinstalling/updating the media card reader drivers first, to see if they cure the "unknown device" error?

If you still get the same error message... try reinstalling/updating the chipset drivers?

On the subject of drivers:  Did you reinstall them in the order advised by Dell?

Although it's possible to get away with installing them in the order you'd install drivers on any other system/laptop, not installing drivers in the order suggested by Dell *can* lead to various problems later.

Finally... just in case you're not aware of it already... don't use the Dell Download Manager for driver/software update downloads!

As a browse of the forums will confirm, it's known to cause all sorts of problems :emotion-43:

Please therefore choose the 'browser' option for downloads :emotion-5:

4 Posts

December 9th, 2009 02:00

Thank you for the welcome and I'll get the name correct in future - mea culpa. :emotion-10: 

Thank you for the ideas - I followed them - unfortunately no joy.

I didn't know about the 'Download Manager' - thanks.My practice had been to download them one at a time using my browser, Chrome.

My thought was that the drivers should be available as Dell is selling the same machine with Windows 7 installed. I presume of course  (and it's a big presume) that the architecture/hardware of the machine being sold now by Dell is the same as the machine I have got at least in the area of the interface to the webcam and webcam itself.

Any other help will be much appreciated. I'll post a reply with the solution when the problem is resolved.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2010 16:00

No I haven't found a solution. I have been in contact with Dell Technical support 4 times - the last time last Thursday but without any resolution.  I'm waiting for the Dell Technician to get back to me from my last enquiry  (he said it should be in the next few days).

I signed up to the Dell Drivers and Downloads page to get automatic notifications of new drivers but there still isn't one for 'Windows 7 64 bit,. Input Device Driver, Webcam'. The last update relevant to my machine was a bios update (A14). 

When you have reinstalled Windows 7 (Mr DVCPHUNG)  have you installed the 64 bit version and what driver does the system use for the webcam ?

regards, Kevin

2 Posts

April 6th, 2010 16:00

So have you found a solution yet ? I encountered the exact same problem a couple of days ago :( 

I don't know why, because I have installed Windows 7 numerous times without any problems, and suddenly my webcam does not work ?!?!

2 Posts

April 6th, 2010 21:00

The weird thing is that I have installed Windows 7 64 a lot of times, and it has always worked (the Integrated cam). Most of the time, Windows Update found a solution for it, however since last week (when I suddenly encountered this problem for the first time) the webcam suddenly doesn't work.

No Events found!