Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

September 10th, 2016 05:00

XPS 15 9550 touchpad issue that Dell apparently can't fix

I've had my XPS15 since October, 2015.  The touchpad worked fine until 3 weeks ago when the mechanical click essentially stopped working--I can only get it to click by pushing very hard (10 times normal) along the very front edge.  It's physically broken, and it's not subtle.  It's essentially impossible to drag-and-drop, highlight text, or drag a scroll bar.

I called Dell and they had me ship it to Texas for repairs.  It came back 1 1/2 weeks later, but the touchpad still didn't work.  In fact, it was worse, as the front edge now sticks up 2-3 mm above the palmrest.  So, it doesn't work and it looks bad.

I called again and they had me ship it back to Texas.  It was returned yesterday, but the touchpad still doesn't click.  Per the paper inside the box, they replaced only the power supply and battery--I have no idea why.  (When I look online, it says they replaced the palmrest, but that apparently doesn't include the mechanical part of the touchpad.)

I called Dell again.  They want me to ship it back a third time.  Needless to say, I am losing faith.

Are there any other options?  I asked about taking it to a repair center local to me in Chicago, but they said there aren't any.  That's odd, as there are a bunch of them listed on the Dell service locator page.  At what point would it be reasonable to ask that the laptop be replaced?

1 Message

September 2nd, 2017 15:00

i have the same issue, xps 15 9550. Problem is I purchased the laptop in the US and now live in Germany...

The german online support page will not recognise the service tag number :(

September 5th, 2017 04:00

Finally i got mine reapaired without cost even though i was 5 months out of warranty. At the first couple of contacts on this i got the information that i would need to cover the costs if i wanted it fixed. Also, the support people at first contact did not recognise that the click problems was related to battery.

Dell really need to work on their communication skills when something like this happens. Their silence in this thread is remarkable.

1 Message

September 6th, 2017 10:00

I wish I would have read this thread earlier.  My battery caused my trackpad to stop working.  I purchased a battery online and was unable to get the laptop to accept it even though it looked identical to the original, same writing and everything.  I called Dell just trying to get some help with the laptop refusing to charge the new battery and they told me they would send a box to ship it back in and they will repair the laptop.  I hope they have a different battery that won't swell!

2 Posts

September 8th, 2017 15:00

Just got off the phone with Dell, this is a known issue with the 9550 and they will replace it at no cost. However I have a 9530, and apparently they refuse to admit this is the same problem, and it will only be repaired at my cost.  Very disappointing, will for sure swing me away from Dell on my next purchase.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2017 04:00

I also have this problem.. will call during office hour and see whats their response is

2 Posts

September 11th, 2017 23:00

I have a 9550 and today was informed that although my trackpad issue is caused by the battery, I will have to pay 165 dollars for a REFURBISHED battery. I understand I am outside my one year warranty, but to render a laptop unusable in less than a year and a half because of a defective battery is ridiculous. I wouldn't even care if it was just losing some charge (as capacity does decrease over time) but I am losing the ability to use my trackpad because of this defect. To ask for another 165 dollars for a defective part (repaired with a refurb) is unacceptable. This is my second xps and although i had a good experience with my first one, I can't buy a laptop if it needs 165 dollars in repairs after a year and a half because of poor parts.

edit: My issue has been resolved and handled satisfactorily by dell as of 09/12/17

489 Posts

September 12th, 2017 00:00

> I have a 9550 and today was informed that although my trackpad issue is caused by the battery, I will have to pay 165 dollars for a REFURBISHED battery. I understand I am outside my one year warranty, but to render a laptop unusable in less than a year and a half because of a defective battery is ridiculous. I wouldn't even care if it was just losing some charge (as capacity does decrease over time) but I am losing the ability to use my trackpad because of this defect. To ask for another 165 dollars for a defective part (repaired with a refurb) is unacceptable. This is my second xps and although i had a good experience with my first one, I can't buy a laptop if it needs 165 dollars in repairs after a year and a half because of poor parts.

You shouldn't accept this, complain. Notebookcheck, and several users here, on Reddit and Notebookreview forum forum, report that Dell is fixing swollen batteries for free at least to some (?). After all this is a fire hazard.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2017 15:00

Thanks. I pushed through three levels and got it fixed. Dell still has me as a customer in the future but they are on thin ice, don't like how much hassle I was getting to replace it.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2017 12:00

Just wanted to add my XPS 15 9560 to this list in the hope it helps us consumers. Got this in January and 9 months later trackpad is raised up so high it doesn't click right or left.  I was a long time Lenovo customer and tried Dell for the first time.  Hopefully, they can fix this issue quickly and correctly so I can go back to loving this work laptop.

11 Posts

September 21st, 2017 17:00

Thanks for bringing this up. I have the same issue with an XPS 9550. The touch pad hardly works at this point. I got it directly from Dell and the warranty period has long expired.

I called Dell Technical Support. They acknowledged that this is a known issue and the cause is the expanding battery. They advised me that they will repair it at no cost. I will have to ship it to them for the repair (they will have FedEx ship a box). Of course this means I will not have this laptop  for normally 12-15 business days. And because of the hurricane and the repair center being in Houston this may take longer than usual.

Overall, I commend Dell for taking responsibility for this and taking care of it. The way the call center person dealt with my call was also professional and courteous. So far an excellent response.

I will post my experience about the actual repair, when it is done.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2017 12:00

As a follow up to my previous post. I just received the laptop repaired and touch-pad works crisply.

Thanks to Dell for an overall excellent experience including the service representative. I had sent it with FedEx Ground 9 days ago, so consider it a good turnaround time and certainly within the expectations of 12-15 business days.

Two areas for improvement:

(1) FedEx information and service around the pick up at my residence was unacceptable. I raised a formal complaint.

(2) Dell did not keep me informed about the progress after they had received the laptop in spite of multiple emails back and forth to get information, so it was a nice surprise, when FedEx dropped it off.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2017 05:00

Hi Guys,

just to flag that I have the same issue with my XPS 15 9530.
Here's a photo of my case. As you can see the touchpad is pretty much lifted.
My warranty is already expired. Will try to contact Dell Support here in Belgium with regard to this problem.

"Swollen battery" - do you know if there's any potential safety issue here??? :) 

11 Posts

October 12th, 2017 20:00

I just had a pop up warning on my XPS 15 9550 with a link to dellproduct.com. By providing my service tag id,  it linked to a bulletin message:

https://www.dellproduct.com/Program.aspx?PI=Y1GZ2GvfmoM%3d

about the free replacement of swollen batteries for (Precision 5510s) and XPS 9550s.

Kudos to Dell for now proactively doing what is right, providing information to potentially impacted customers.

2 Posts

October 13th, 2017 04:00

I called DELL support team here in Belgium and explained the issue.

They advised to remove the battery immediately (potential safety issue) but refused to offer a free replacement. The reason for the refusal being the fact that my XPS 15 9530 is more than 3 years old (in fact it's 3 years, 8 months old). 

Instead they made me an offer to purchase a refurbished battery for ~75€ with a limited warranty (3 months).

Below the photo of the old battery. I haven't decided to buy this refurbished one from them...

22 Posts

October 18th, 2017 14:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 - nb NOT the 15 .

I called UK Customer Service 0800-587-1456  who initially tried to convince me that it was out of warranty (18 months) but when I insisted that I wanted it fixed under the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 I was transferred to the "Out of Warranty" team.  After giving them my Service Tag and emphasising that the touch pad was raised they admitted that there was an issue with some batteries.  In my case they replaced the battery, palm rest, touch pad, and keyboard.

No Events found!