I bought a XPS 15 (L502X) last week. Yesterday while working on the train it abruptly switched off - no warning, nothing. From memory the battery was at 30%. It would not restart until I got home and plugged the power in. At powerup the battery light flashed orange and I got the following message:
"Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature."
I had to disconnect/reconnect the battery before the orange flashing light went away and it started normally.
This morning it did the same thing. This time I was watching - at the time it happened, battery was 40% and both thermal sensors were reporting 65C. This was on a cold morning with no real load on the machine (just typing at the time). So I doubt temperature is truly anything to do with this.
Any ideas what this might be? My guess is a dud battery, but I really have no idea how to diagnose this.
Welcome to the community
When it switched off, did you see any error message about overheating or thermal problems? Can you try to update the BIOS with this link ; http://dell.to/HJwf0o (Download File and run, make sure the ac adapter and battery is connected, hopefully the battery has enough charge) After updating BIOS, observe the computer, see if it does the same thing.
Let me know of the results so we can proceed to the right direction.
No, there was no error message - just instant off.
I will update the BIOS and let you know if there's any change the next time I run on battery.
Turns out I already have the A10 BIOS, so there's nothing to update.
It survived the trip home ok, but naturally I have no confidence in it. I'll keep looking at it and try to find patterns, but any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.
Died again on the way in this morning. Battery at 59%, CPUs at 64C, HDD at 40C. I popped the battery and reinserted it to get it going again, so obviously that's enough to clear its memory of the "lock". I did however lose work.
When on AC it will happily run all day without issue.
I'm happy to hear that its just a battery fault! I will call the local support in the morning to arrange a replacement. Thank you both for your help!
Just to follow this up, I had the technician out today. The problem was actually a damaged connector on the battery, such that a knock or sudden movement would cause it to lose contact. The battery was replaced and so far all seems well!