Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2012 17:00

XPS 15 - Your battery is temporarily disabled

I bought a XPS 15 (L502X) last week. Yesterday while working on the train it abruptly switched off - no warning, nothing. From memory the battery was at 30%. It would not restart until I got home and plugged the power in. At powerup the battery light flashed orange and I got the following message:

"Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature."

I had to disconnect/reconnect the battery before the orange flashing light went away and it started normally.

This morning it did the same thing. This time I was watching - at the time it happened, battery was 40% and both thermal sensors were reporting 65C. This was on a cold morning with no real load on the machine (just typing at the time). So I doubt temperature is truly anything to do with this.

Any ideas what this might be? My guess is a dud battery, but I really have no idea how to diagnose this.

6 Posts

May 7th, 2012 22:00

Hi Elijah,

No, there was no error message - just instant off.

I will update the BIOS and let you know if there's any change the next time I run on battery.

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

When it switched off, did you see any error message about overheating or thermal problems? Can you try to update the BIOS with this link ;  http://dell.to/HJwf0o (Download File and run, make sure the ac adapter and battery is connected, hopefully the battery has enough charge) After updating BIOS, observe the computer, see if it does the same thing.

Let me know of the results so we can proceed to the right direction.

Regards,

6 Posts

May 8th, 2012 05:00

Turns out I already have the A10 BIOS, so there's nothing to update.

It survived the trip home ok, but naturally I have no confidence in it. I'll keep looking at it and try to find patterns, but any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

May 8th, 2012 18:00

Died again on the way in this morning. Battery at 59%, CPUs at 64C, HDD at 40C. I popped the battery and reinserted it to get it going again, so obviously that's enough to clear its memory of the "lock". I did however lose work.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Will the computer shut down by itself if you are just using the Ac adapter? Can you please try that? If we get the results we can conclude battery needs to be replaced. Thank you.

May 9th, 2012 02:00

I agree with Elijah, the battery needs to be replaced.

6 Posts

May 9th, 2012 05:00

When on AC it will happily run all day without issue.

I'm happy to hear that its just a battery fault! I will call the local support in the morning to arrange a replacement. Thank you both for your help!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2012 02:00

You are welcome.

Feel free to post back here in our community if you need any assistance.

6 Posts

May 15th, 2012 03:00

Just to follow this up, I had the technician out today. The problem was actually a damaged connector on the battery, such that a knock or sudden movement would cause it to lose contact. The battery was replaced and so far all seems well!

No Events found!