Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2012 09:00

XPS L501X Hardware Malfunction

My first laptop would not stay powered on, so I called Dell and they sent me a replacement right away without any issues.  Thats when I started having issues with it. For over a year now, I have been having issues with the new laptop.  It keeps giving me a BSOD, saying hardware malfunction please contact hardware manufacturer.  I have called tech support numerous times. 

Call 1 -  I let them remote login and check the BSOD files.  I was told it was a driver error, so they updated the drivers.

Call 2 - Same thing as first call

Call 3 - I needed to reformat Harddrive

Call 4 - They said I did not update all my drives when I reformated, so we updated again

Call 5 - I needed to reformat again

Call 6 - Stated that I needed to send my laptop in for repairs and would not receive it back for about 2 weeks.  Or I could have someone come out to my house and replace the motherboard.  The tech on the phone said that after looking at the files and the issues that replacing the motherboard will not fix my problem.

I use this laptop for work and school, so I can't be without it for 2 weeks.  Should I keep calling till I get a replacement or what?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You seem to be phishing for a new laptop for free.  This isnt going to happen.

Overheating is a common problem that would cause a laptop to shut down.

4 Posts

Why would you think I am just phishing for a new laptop?  I have done everything the asked me to do.  They told me that someone can come out and replace the motherboard, but it will not fix it.  Now if that person that comes out to replace the motherboard can tell me something else that might be wrong with it, than I am all for them getting it fixed.  The problem is, the phone tech said he will only replace the motherboard and nothing else.  

4 Posts

January 10th, 2012 10:00

Yup, I live about 1.5 hours from Round Rock.  I guess I will just wait until the repair tech calls me and go from there.  See if he will look into other issues it might have.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Then you should be able to get better support.  Dell is in Round Rock Texas.

Again though you did not pay for 24 x 7 x 365 support with onsite repairs.

The Phishing part is this

"For over a year now, I have been having issues with the new laptop. "

"It keeps giving me a BSOD, saying hardware malfunction please contact hardware manufacturer."

What BSOD?

How many Times?

Windows Updates can have undesired effects when users shut the laptop off being angry that it says applying updates do not shut the machine off.

How to Run the Dell™ 32-bit Diagnostics Utility

Print
Article ID : 52057 Date Published : 2003-10-17 Journal ID : 60ed4dbe-a97b-4756-bea9-7ba93d43f1c8
Article Summary: Instructions on how to run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics to check for Hardware problems.

Table of Contents:

1. Run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics
  2. Incase 32-bit Diagnostics are not installed
  3. Diagnostics Produces an Error

Step 1: Run the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics

All Dell computers ship with a utility partition on the hard drive that contains the Dell Diagnostic Utility:

1. Restart the computer.

2. As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.

3. When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, or the Diagnostics option and then press   to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics
  4. Press the   key to highlight Test SystemPress   to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics.
       Note:
    In some cases PSA Diagnostics will run first. If you receive an error during PSA diagnostics Click Here to go to the PSA Diagnostics Page. To continue onto 32-bit Diagnostics, Press N for No when it asks you to Continue Memory Tests. Press Y To Continue the Memory Tests.

• Express Test will run a quick test of devices in the system. This typically can take 10-20 minutes.
    • Extended Test performs a thorough check of devices in the system. This typically can take an hour or more.
    • Custom Test used to test a specific device or customize the tests to be run.Exit to MS-DOS will exit the diagnostics to a command prompt.
    • Symptom Tree. This option lists the most common symptoms and allows you to select tests based on those symptoms.

Note:
      Express Test is the only test that will not require user involvement.

Step 2: Incase 32-bit Diagnostics are not installed

You can try Booting to your Resource Disk, to access the 32-bit Diagnostics on it.

1. Insert the Resource Disk into your computer's CD/DVD Rom.
  2. Restart the computer.

3. As the computer boots, press when the Dell Splash Screen appears.

4. When the Boot menu appears, highlight CDROM or the equivialent and press the    key to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics

If the computer did not ship with a resource disk or the original diagnostics are not available, download the diagnostics by performing the following steps:

1. Click Drivers and Downloads to enter the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Click

Enter a Tag
     to use your Service Tag to find the diagnostics.

Note:  
      If the Service Tag is not available, click

Select Model
    and select the appropriate Product Type and Product Model.

3. Click Go. If the Product Type and Product Model had been selected, click Confirm.

4. Select the desired operating system, driver language, and importance settings from the drop-down boxes as pictured below (Figure 1). The Category drop-down box should be set to Diagnostics.

Operating System:    
      Windows XP
    Driver Language:    
      English
    Category:    
      Diagnostics
    Importance:    
      All
    Figure 1: Drivers and Downloads Drop-Down Selections

5. Select the Dell 32-Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version) from the column labeled File Title to display the download page (Figure 2).

File Title   < b>

Importance

Figure 2: File Title Column
     Note:
      If you have the information provided from the online System Information utility or your invoice, please refer to it for what drivers to download.

6. Review the information on the page and take note of  Installation Instructions and Important Information.

7. Click   Download Now. You may receive a warning and an option to run or save the file.

8. Click Save.

9. When the Save As window appears, designate a folder to save the file that is being downloaded and click Save.

10. When the download is complete, follow the instructions provided in the Installation Instructions (as viewed in step 6 above).

Step 3: Diagnostics Produces an Error

If the Diagnostics Produces an Error, you may have a Hardware problem. Please use the Link below for information to Contact Us.
Click Here to Contact Technical Support

Dell XPS 15 L501x Specifications
Processor Intel Core i5-460M
(2x2.53GHz, 32nm, 3MB L3, Turbo to 2.80GHz, 35W)
Chipset Intel HM57
Memory 2x2GB DDR3-1333 (Max 8GB)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 420M 1GB GDDR3
96 SPs, 500/1000/1600MHz Core/Shader/RAM clocks
Display 15.6" B+GR LED Glossy 16:9 1080p (1920x1080)
(AU Optronics B156HW1) 
Hard Drive(s) 500GB 7200RPM HDD
(Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS)
Optical Drive Blu-ray/DVDRW Combo 
Networking Gigabit Ethernet (Realtek RTL8168/8111)
802.11n (Intel WiFi Link 6200AGN)
Bluetooth 3.0 
Audio 2.1 JBL Speakers + Waves Audio
(Stereo speakers and subwoofer)
Microphone and two headphone jacks
Capable of 5.1 digital output (HDMI/SPDIF)
Battery 6-Cell, 11.1V, 4.9Ah, 56Wh
Front Side Memory Card Reader
Left Side Exhaust vent
1 x USB 3.0
Right Side Optical Drive
2 x Headphone Jack
Microphone Jack
1 x eSATA/USB 2.0 Combo
Back Side Mini DisplayPort
HDMI 1.4
Gigabit Ethernet
TV Input (Optional)
AC Power Connection
1 x USB 3.0
Kensington Lock
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Dimensions 15.0" x 10.4" x 1.3-1.5" (WxDxH)
Weight 6.14 lbs (with 6-cell battery)
Extras Waves Maxx Audio 3
2MP Skype HD Certified Webcam (H.264)
86-Key backlit keyboard
Flash reader (SD/IO/XC/HC, MS/Pro/XC, MMC, xD)
Warranty 1-year standard warranty
2-year and 3-year warranties available

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Dell Doesn't have a warranty that gives you a brand new laptop whenever an issue arises.

Dell Does have support options that would "fix" just about any issue ; However these options are not free and cost more than

10 new Laptops.     I have Gold Support, Onsite Coverage and 7 x 24 x 365 onsite repair with a dell authorized onsite Tech.

The onsite Tech Alone Costs $250,000 per year. What country are you in?  Replacing the motherboard would not fix the issue if the cooling fans are plugged with dust bunnies.  It also would not fix bad Ram, Bad Hard Drive, or Driver conflicts, malware etc.

4 Posts

Texas, US

19 Posts

January 10th, 2012 20:00

I would call them again and give them the service request number you should already have. Then explain what you have done and that the techs are giving you mixed responses, then ask to speak to a manager. Then the manager should progress your issue.Let me know how you get on!

19 Posts

January 10th, 2012 20:00

They have been known to replace laptops to new ones. Once you have done all the troubleshooting and they feel its the only option they may well replace it.

No Events found!