Highlighted
HEJINC
Bronze

XPS m2010

can anyone help with upgrading my m2010 wtih XP to windows 7???

74 Replies
belboy3
Gold

Re: XPS m2010

HEJINC,

Have you run the MS upgrade advisor for Win 7 yet? This will tell you all you want to know ,hardware and software, and what may have to be fixed whether you go 32 or 64 bit.

Beyond that, I have attached a thread that is lengthly but takes you thru the process. You will get no help from Dell and no win 7 drivers from them either, but it can be done. Do take the time to read the thread so you know where the pitfalls are and how to fix them.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274840/19608185.aspx?PageIndex=1

Best of luck.

XPS8300, i7-2600, 12GB DDR3 Ram, AMD HD 6770 Video, ST2420L Monitor, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium

0 Kudos
HEJINC
Bronze

thanks a lot for the info. i'll read thru the info & get back to you if i have any questions

Again, thanks alot!!!

0 Kudos
belboy3
Gold

Here is another thread that is quite long as well that goes along with the first one I sent you. It may lay the process out better for you.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19305096.aspx

Your welcome

XPS8300, i7-2600, 12GB DDR3 Ram, AMD HD 6770 Video, ST2420L Monitor, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium

0 Kudos
HEJINC
Bronze

i'm planning to install win7 32bit,

i have read about the 2 bluetooth drivers (R142181 and R1621000), i read about options saying use them & some saying don't use them. whould i use them or the windows 7 drivers?

how would this effect "ACPI Function Key Handler" ?

thanks again for all your help

HEJINC

0 Kudos
belboy3
Gold

HEJINC,crc2,

Glad you read them thru to see what all the brains went through to make this work. Did you read also the second thread I sent you? In the second thread, why isn't Dell providing drivers etc, there are to procedures written by crc2, one for 32 and one for 64 bit. There titled as northernlights. This will lay the procedure right out from start to finish.

The procedure would be to let Win updates download the bluetooth. As far as the famous ACPI, you will not have the function keys, Fn-F2, Fn-F3, etc. Dell has done nothing with this and won't. Maybe someday someone will find a fix. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I don't use Wi-Fi and to switch it on and off with Fn-F2.

I have brought crc2 into the post as he was one of the significant providers of this procedure. He can help if problems arise.

Do your homework and you'll be okay. Help is nearby.  

0 Kudos
belboy3
Gold

HEJINC,

One thing I forgot to ask you is do you have MediaDirect on your system? There is must procedure to follow if you do. If you have it, do you have the MD disk?

Belboy3

0 Kudos
HEJINC
Bronze

i have not read the second link, yet. 

how do i find crc2 procedures? , search for northernlights? i'm all new to this community thing!

so, if i don't have the ACPI function, i ONLY loss the fn+(whatever) funstions? i almost never turn the wifi off, unless i need to go wired for large data transfers. is the another way of control it, other than disable it for a bit?

i did find this last week, http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274840/19607952.aspx#19607952 and i download all the vista 32 drivers he/she suggested, but the Ricoh i download it from dell, he got his from his vista CD

below is a list of what "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" siad i had problems with, regaurdless of applications, all others got a green check mark

ACPI Function Keys
TOSHIBA CORPORATION
Unknown
We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Bluetooth HID port from TOSHIBA
TOSHIBA
Unknown
Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA
Toshiba
Unknown
Bluetooth RFBNEP from TOSHIBA
TOSHIBA
Unknown
QuickCam for Dell Notebooks
Logitech
Unknown
Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Unknown
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Unknown
We don't have compatibility information about this device

thanks again for all you help, you rock! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
belboy3
Gold

HEJINC,crc2,

I would suggest you read the second link so you have a total perspectice. Understand not all 2010's are built the same.

I have attached the northernlights, which is in the second link, for you. http://northernlights.me.uk/How%20to%20install%20Windows7_%2032bit%20on%20XPS%20M2010%20by%20wgt40w....

The link you gave me RE: 1 Triad is where I got started in doing mine. Sounds like you are on the right track and doing your homework. This ,of course, doesn't mean you will not encounter problems. You should have a USB corded mouse and keyboard because you will loose the bluetooth for a period of time.

Am I safe to assume you do not have MediaDirect? Your Upgrade advisor looks right.

Keep up the good fight and you will make it. 

0 Kudos
HEJINC
Bronze

MediaDirect. that's from dell, right. that sounds like one of the first things i removed from my pc when i got it, LOL

my system has been striped down as much as possible! I got rid of all the fluff that was installed.

thanks for the links, i'll read thru all of them before i begin.

0 Kudos