Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 12th, 2017 20:00

XPS15 9560 - Adding additional SATA HDD, battery question

I am interested in adding additional internal storage to my XPS 15 - 2GB SSD Hard Drive. I do alot of travel and video work, and the idea of having a portable hard drive is not attractive to me.

The unit currently comes with the 94wh battery. I have the 4K display, etc.

I can source parts (caddy, cables, etc), but my concerns are about the 54wh battery.

I have anecdotal stories of people purchasing the 54wh, trying to install it into the XPS 15, and then getting messages from the machine "battery is not compatible, and the battery will not charge", and then the front light starts flashing "white, yellow".

From my understanding some of the batteries are chipped. 

So, any suggests on reputable sources in Australia where I can obtain a new 54wh battery.

thanks in advance,

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

June 13th, 2017 02:00

Mind only 7mm HDDs are officially compatible. 9.5mm supposedly fits bit without the rubber rails. You also need a HDD cable. The best idea is probably finding someone who wants to switch the other way.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2017 05:00

I think you'll find the 54 WHr battery works only with the system with an FHD screen - the 4K screen requires the 94 WHr battery (the runtime for a 54 WHr battery on a 4K screen will be far too short).

If you need the added internal hard drive, sell the existing system and order a system with the equipment you want.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

June 14th, 2017 05:00

> I think you'll find the 54 WHr battery works only with the system with an FHD screen - the 4K screen requires the 94 WHr battery (the runtime for a 54 WHr battery on a 4K screen will be far too short).

My 9550 i7 QHD HDD was delivered with the 54 Wh battery. Has no particular battery problem so far; battery life is surely shorter than with the bigger battery, not sure how long exactly but >4h, which is longer than with my previous Thinkpad when it was new.

It is however likely that the expected number of cycles in the lifetime, expected to be around 500 for li-ion batteries, is spent earlier. This may be more important in the light of recently reported battery swelling (that some worn-out batteries not only lose capacity as usually, but also inflate due to internal gas release).

So it may be a good idea to avoid discharging the battery to the bottom if avoidable (travel charger). And if one mostly uses the laptop plugged in, to use the BIOS/Power Manager option that charges the battery to 90% max and stops charging until charge falls below 80%.

6 Posts

June 14th, 2017 18:00

EKN63 - Not really an option available in AUS, unless I purchase the Precision unit, but I miss out on the 4k display.

No Events found!