Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

ZB

July 10th, 2008 10:00

Zaragosa Barbosa : Display/Graphics problem with Dell Inspiron 8600

Hi, I have a problem that's been driving me nuts! I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and a couple months ago I had to reformat it after getting a nasty virus, and ever since I've had this strange problem with the display/graphics. When I try to play 3D games or use 3D screen savers they appear for a moment and run very choppily for a second or two and then they either close or minimize themselves and a message pops up that says:

"You have selected a non-optimal screen resolution for your LCD display panel. Selecting this resolution may result in fuzzy text and pictures. Unlike external computer monitors, LCD display panels have one particular screen resolution setting that looks best. It is recommended you set your screen resolution to 1920 x 1200."

The thing is, when I go to the display settings it says it already is set at 1920 x 1200, but I am still getting the message and can't use the games/screen savers. I tried downloading new drivers for the video card and new directx software and messing with all the different settings and I still get the same message. I've also spent eons on the phone with Abu or whoever over in India, as it seems the entire Dell support army has been outsourced over there, and I was lucky if we were able to exchange one whole sentence without having to ask the other to repeat it. Anyway, Abu eventually said what I expected he would all along: "You have done everything there is to do." This really means that there is something else I can do but he doesn't know what it is. And I don't either. I found some threads where other people were having this EXACT same problem with other Dell laptop models and they figured it was because the fan wasn't able to cool the cpu enough in order to run their games, and they were able to solve it by raising their laptops off the desk about four inches in order to give the fan/bottom of the laptop some space/air to help cool it, but I've tried doing the same thing and it didn't work for me. And I honestly don't know what else to do. I know there has to be a way to fix this because it used to work fine, there must just be some clever little trick I'm not nerdy enough to know or figure out. So, if anyone has any idea/suggestion of any kind on how to fix this PLEASE tell me about it!

Thank you.

No Responses!
No Events found!