Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 16:00

best place to sell used laptop?

Hi, i have about 5 or 6 dell latitude d620's available, i was wondering the best place to sell besides Ebay? Thanks

4.4K Posts

Ebay is probably the best site to sell them.

Craig's List is another option.

You could consider donating them to a charity and taking the tax break for them.

I have given away computers that I don't use any more to families with children who couldn't afford them.  The happy faces and smiles are more than enough payment.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Hi, i have about 5 or 6 dell latitude d620's available, i was wondering the best place to sell besides Ebay? Thanks

On eBay, you'll be competing against the big dealers who get their laptops by the pallet. So unless you sell yours cheaper, you won't get the buyer. Also, be aware of buyers who scam you out of the item and your $. Signature Confirmation is the only way to go

Craigslist results in lots of spam. You also get people who want to buy it for 1/2 of what you are asking for it. A lot wasted time. I am trying to sell a few used laptops on Craigslist mainly because I can't afford to get scammed on eBay. However, it has been a real pain the neck dealing with the weirdos and the bottomfishers.

4.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 18:00

If selling on Ebay, only sell to someone who has a verified address.  This makes is more likely to be a legit person bidding.

49 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 18:00

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah i bought about 10 of them.  I sold a couple to family members, i just sold one on ebay for 170, which was not bad at all before i paid listing fee, selling fee then paypal fee, lol i ended up with just about what i paid for them, so this is no longer worth it, perfect price to sell for but that is before all the fees As for craigslist, all i get is offers for 50 or less or people claiming they have a child in nigeria studying then send a fake paypal payment email, which has got to be the worst scam in the books considering all i do is log into my account and realize there was no payment lol. So i am just looking for someone to unload the last 6 or so. Gazelle and all those places offer 65 tops, i need to get into that business lol.

49 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 19:00

Yeah that will suck.. I really do not mess with them but I pretty much grab anything i can get my hands on and make a few bucks so i can hope something like that does not happen, but where i post my CL listing I will either run into something like this or get robbed which is why i also try to stay away from CL, specially the fact they just uncovered something where these people were putting up fake job ads and killing the people that came to check it out, really does not help my confidence with CL, besides the fact that i do not understand why on earth they would see something posted for $160 but send me a offer for 50-75 lol

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah i bought about 10 of them.  I sold a couple to family members, i just sold one on ebay for 170, which was not bad at all before i paid listing fee, selling fee then paypal fee, lol i ended up with just about what i paid for them, so this is no longer worth it, perfect price to sell for but that is before all the fees As for craigslist, all i get is offers for 50 or less or people claiming they have a child in nigeria studying then send a fake paypal payment email, which has got to be the worst scam in the books considering all i do is log into my account and realize there was no payment lol. So i am just looking for someone to unload the last 6 or so. Gazelle and all those places offer 65 tops, i need to get into that business lol.

There is no easy way to quickly sell 6 laptops.

You are right. The eBay and Paypal fees make it totally unprofitable for the average seller.

I had a potential buyer on Craigslist tell me that her daughter bought a laptop and it wouldn't even turn on, so she sent her brother a cop to get her money back. I was thinking didn't you check the laptop out before you bought it. I don't need someone who has a brother as a cop to hassle me about a used laptop. She also gave me a sob story about how she was disabled and didn't have a lot of money blah blah blah. I decided to just not deal with her.

49 Posts

Iv'e had no problems selling on Ebay.. except crazy fees.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 06:00

i do not understand why on earth they would see something posted for $160 but send me a offer for 50-75 lol

They want to see how desperate you are to sell it.

I meet the buyers at the public library. It's nearby, and there is wifi.

I had a buyer who claimed he was on his way home from work and wanted to buy my laptop. I told him I didn't have it with me at work, so he'd have to meet me the next day after work. Never heard from him again. Got to wonder what was the rush or was he a potential criminal.

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 08:00

OMG this has happened to me like 4 times already on CL, one guy says he is on his way now and i said i am on my way to work i can meet him at a McD or something with WIFI he said "im not playing games here" then hung up.. the others i said cannot meet at my house and i swear i never heard from them again.. that is pretty crazy you said that..

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 10:00

A legitimate buyer should feel safer meeting in a public place like a McD or something. I would insist on it if I was a buyer carrying around all that cash.

Good luck with your sales. We just have to be patient.

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 10:00

I have a question for anyone that could answer, so i posted these on a global maretplace, not sure if i can post where but someone from Pakistan contacted me, is this automatic scam? Or is there a possibility this could work out? Also they said something about a sea port for shipment, anyone know any good companies or exactly how this would work, I would have to see actual payment somewhere obviously before i shipped out. Should i just not even take the chance on this? They offered to buy all 7 @ 170. I just am not sure about shipping to Pak for all the obvious reasons. Also not even sure if I would be allowed to ship something like this to Pak? Anywhere I can read up on this or companies I can look at for this? I do not want me desperate measures to get the best of me and end up somehow losing the shipment of 7 laptops?

4.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 14:00

I am not a lawyer and I do not know what the law states about exporting computers to Pakistan.

You will have to make sure that you are in full compliance with the Export Compliance regulations.  For my job, I have to send items overseas from time to time but I have a full departament at my disposal that fill out all the forms and makes sure that our company is in full compliance.

Edit: 
Here is a link you may want to check out.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/262/~/license-requirements-for-exporting-computers

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 15:00

thanks, yeah i already emailed him and said nevermind, not worth the risk on that one.. would not feel comfortable knowing i am on some list after shipping something there lol..

4.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 16:00

I think that is a good decision on your part.

Better safe than sorry.

No Events found!