Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2012 09:00

dell inspiron n5050 adding characters and shutting down

my keybord is adding characters on its own ....

external usb keboard working perfectly...:emotion-2:

but laptop keyboard is not working properly...

if i kept any of these keys pressed....

'y' or 'u' or 'g' or 'h'...

tecnically it should keep printing the pressed character until released but it does not do so...

and if i keep 'y' pressed it prints "yhg\" dont know if its hardware problem... or what similar are hapening with other keys mntioned above

i flashed with latest bios available on the site but it did not solve my problem

and it also arbitrary shut downs with a "crkk" sound anytime...

even on booting... or even when on... 

and if any typing mistakes that's because of my keybord... no my fault :emotion-4:

i still have 90 days complete on site warranty ....

what should i do

1.1K Posts

September 12th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

I will recommend you to re seat the keyboard to see if that fixes the issue. Below are the step by step instructions:

Note: Disconnect all the external peripherals including printer, camera, flash drive etc. Power off your system. The keycaps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling the keyboard.

1. Remove the battery:
  • Turn over your system.
  • Slide the battery lock latch to the unlock position until it clicks into place.
  • Slide and hold the battery release latch in the unlock position.
  • Slide and lift the battery out of the battery bay.

battery release latch

battery

battery lock latch

2.  Once the battery is removed, remove the keyboard:

• Turn the computer over and open the display as far as possible.
  • Using a plastic scribe, release the four tabs that secure the keyboard to the palm rest and ease the keyboard up until it clears off the palm rest.

plastic scribe

tabs (4)

keyboard

Note: The keycaps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling the keyboard.

• Carefully turn the keyboard over and place it on the palm rest assembly.
  • Lift the connector latch that secures the keyboard cable to the connector on the system board and remove the keyboard cable.
  • Lift the keyboard off the computer.

keyboard cable

keyboard

3.  Once the keyboard is removed, place the keyboard back to its original place:

• Slide the keyboard cable into the connector on the system board. Press down on the connector latch to secure the keyboard cable to the connector on the system board.
  • Slide the tabs on the keyboard into the slots on the palm rest.
  • Gently press around the edges of the keyboard to lock the four tabs securing the keyboard. 
  • Close the display and turn the computer over. 
  • Connect the battery back to the system.

You can also refer to the below link which has the same steps given above:

http://dell.to/OGDsNW

To isolate if the system shutting down is hardware or a software issue, please run the hardware diagnostics:

• Restart your system and keep tapping "F12" as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight "Diagnostics" using up and down arrow keys and press enter.
  • The diagnostics should initiate.
  • It will ask you to press "Y" when the color bars appears; make sure you press "Y" immediately when prompted on the screen.
  • Please make a note of the error code along with the error message, if you get any.

In case the diagnostics pass, I will suggest you to perform the below steps to isolate the issue:-

Check your system in BIOS if it shuts down:

• Restart your system and keep tapping "F2" as soon as the Dell logo.
  • The system should enter the BIOS(system setup).
  • Observe your system's performance in BIOS and check if it shuts down.

If the system shuts down in BIOS as well, we may consider replacing some parts on your system. However, if the system does not shut down in BIOS, observe your system in "Safe Mode with Networking":

• Restart your system and keep tapping "F8" as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight "Safe Mode with Networking" using up ad down arrow keys and press enter.
  • Observe your system's performance in "Safe Mode with Networking" and check if it shuts down.

A system can also shut down if the air vents are not clean. Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Unplug the AC Adapter.
  • Remove the Battery.
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Do not use your mouth to blow the Dust out of a Laptop. If using a can of compressed air use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

I am sending you a friend request followed by a private message. Please send me your system's service tag through the private message.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any questions.

September 12th, 2012 10:00

thnx for the reply .... sir.... but i dont think i should remove keyboard on my own..... :D

now on its own it's working good.... still in future the same prob may occur...

i think i should send it to sevice centre ...

thnx once again for your efforts sir :D

September 12th, 2012 12:00

lol

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cnvc0h.png

they updated the bios today only for my laptop :D

No Events found!