Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2015 13:00

dell studio 1737 keyboard problem

I am having a problem with my keyboard on my dell studio 1737. When you press certain keys on the keyboard the adjacent keys are activated as well as the key itself. I've tried various techniques I've read about to correct the problem such as removing power from the laptop for an extended period of time and installing new bios drivers but nothing seems to work. From the information I can gather this is a common problem with this model of Dell laptop. What is the best way to correct this problem. Will replacing the keyboard correct this problem or is there some other problem causing the malfunction? Thanks for any information....

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 25th, 2015 22:00

Hi dLTPN,

Good work on troubleshooting. I would suggest you to bring up the On Screen Keyboard (OSK) and try using it to check if the issue reoccurs to isolate if the issue is related to hardware or software.  

Also, please connect an external USB keyboard to the system and check if the issue reoccurs.

22 Posts

January 26th, 2015 16:00

I've actually been using the on-screen keyboard to use the computer since using the keyboard is so difficult ( which works fine ) , so I don't think this is a software issue. I'm pretty sure the keyboard is the issue but I'm not sure ( I don't have a usb keyboard handy , so I can't check that ). I think my only option is changing the keyboard at this point.....

22 Posts

January 27th, 2015 14:00

I actually remembered that my desktop keyboard uses an usb adapter , so I plugged this into the laptop and the external keyboard works properly. Are there anymore tests I can do on this laptop? I think I've isolated the problem to the keyboard , but I'm not sure....

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 28th, 2015 09:00

Hi dLTPN,

You will need to replace the internal keyboard on the system.

No Events found!