Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 13th, 2017 01:00

drivers for W7 64 bit reinstall

This has all ended up confusing with the posting to get this done so I am starting over. I have a 5110 that has random total freezes since I reinstalled W7. And another reinstall still has the problem. I haven’t been able to find someone to troubleshoot this on any forum I have tried. No one seems to know how to read event logs or maybe they are useless. Can’t even find someone that can troubleshoot a problem, whatever. I just feel it is probably a driver problem. I am forced to try another reinstall and I am going to do it with the minimum drivers I need and do them in steps somewhat so I may be able to determine which one causes this if it happens this way and hopefully it never develops the problem. I am not going to use anything but windows, dell and probably not even any amd site unless it appears I may need an update there. I would like some help determining exactly which drivers are the ones I need as the site listings are not clear to me. Service code is BMTTGR1.

From the list of drivers that my laptop shows using the service code I clicked show all drivers to get this complete list, otherwise it only lists an application file and two bios files.

I am excluding the dell digital delivery and quickset app files. I don’t think I need those.

1. It shows two bios files M5110A05.EXE and M5110A03.EXE. Do I need both of those? And if so which do I install first?

2. There are 4 modem/communication files. Which of these do I need, or all of them? And are these only if I want to have internal modem capability?

Conexant D400 External USB 56K Modem Utility

File Name: CONEXANT_D400-USB-MODEM_DPP14_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe

Version: DLD1.21 ,A00

Importance: Recommended

Conexant D400 External USB 56K Modem Application

File Name: CONEXANT_D400-USB-MODEM_J6N4K_A02_SETUP_ZPE.exe

Version: NW2.5.59 ,A02

Conexant D400 USB 56K Modem Driver

File Name: CONEXANT_D400-USB-MODEM_RY5VP_A02_SETUP_ZPE.exe

Version: Drv_Win7-64_2.0.22.0 ,A02

Conexant D400 External USB 56K Modem Diagnostics Utility

File Name: CONEXANT_D400-USB-MODEM_2M98F_A01_SETUP_ZPE.exe

Version: MdmDiag64_1.0.28.0 ,A01

3. There are 5 Network files. Which of these do I need, or all of them? If I don’t care about having bluetooth capability which one(s) do I leave out or will it be included no matter what?

Realtek RTL8105E-VB 10/100 Ethernet Controller Driver

File Name: R313268.exe

Version: 7.048.0823.2011 ,A01

Importance: Urgent

Dell Wireless 1701 802.11 b/g/n Driver

File Name: R309923.exe

Version: 5.100.82.34 ,A01

Dell Wireless 1702 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0+HS Driver

File Name: R305773.exe

Version: WLAN: 9.2.0.225 BT: 7.2.0.70 ,A01

Dell Wireless WLAN 1502 Half Mini-Card Driver View details

File Name: R305243.exe

Version: 9.2.0.225 ,A00

Dell Wireless 1701 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0+HS Driver

File Name: R305240.exe

Version: 6.4.0.1601 ,A00

4. For video there are 3 one for 7570, one for 6470/7450 and the third for 6470/6620/6520/6480. I have 6480 graphics so I assume that I only install that last one?

Thanks for any help here.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 13th, 2017 12:00

You don't need to install both BIOS updates.  Just use the most recent one (or don't bother updating it at all, may not be important).  Sometimes Dell has multiple versions of the same driver/firmware update listed at the same time.  No idea why.

For the modem, even if you actually need that, you just need the driver. Forget the rest unless you know you actually need them.

For network, you'll want the Ethernet driver AND the correct WiFi driver.  Sometimes the BIOS will identify your WiFi card and give you a clue, otherwise you can check Device Manager using the steps I describe below.

Yes, for video install only the one that lists the graphics you have.

You can also try downloading and installing Dell Update (or Dell Command | Update) if you see that listed in the Drivers area, which should find everything you need.  Otherwise, you can try entering your service tag rather than just selecting your model can filter out some inapplicable drivers, but that can also filter out some drivers that DO apply, so it's a mixed bag.  The last resort would be checking Device Manager for any devices with yellow exclamation points and going to Properties > Details > Device instance path and checking the four-character VEN and DEV codes you see there.  Googling those will often show you what device that is, or sometimes just finding the vendor is enough to figure out which driver you need for a given component.

As a suggestion for next time, whenever possible, it's worth going through Device Manager on a system BEFORE you wipe it in order to note the devices that exist in order to simplify this driver discovery process next time.  Failing that, if Dell Update doesn't work and you end up having to download drivers manually, at least keep the installers for the drivers you turned out to need so that if you ever have to do this again, you don't have as much guesswork.

No Events found!