Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

February 20th, 2012 09:00

dropped Studio 1555 laptop - no longer worky

I am wondering, if the problem was in the display, should I be able to get the signal out of the HDMI connector to my TV?  It used to work.  Right now I just have a lit up screen, but no text.  The hard drive is fine, I checked it outside the box.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wolfgang

4.4K Posts

February 20th, 2012 19:00

When the system was dropped, the video connection may have been jarred loose.  Taking the notebook apart and checking this is fairly straight forward.  But you may want to try and diagnose the video issue first.

Here is the Service Manual for your notebook.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1555/en/SM/index.htm

How to Diagnose a Video Issue

Turn the system off.  While holding down the D key, press the power button.  After the system boots up, the monitor should start to display colors.  If it does, the monitor is working.  If there are no colors the monitor will need to be replaced.

If the colors do not display, you will have to determine if the video card is good or bad.  If you have an external monitor, hook it up to the notebook.  Use the Fn + F8 key combination to turn on the external monitor.  If you do not get an image on the external monitor, the video card most likely needs to be replaced.

You can also run Dell's Diagnostic program by holding down the Fn key and power up the system. The diagnostic program should start and test your system.  If you still do not see anything on the screen, then this would be a graphics/video card problem.

No Events found!