Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2009 14:00

inspiron 1525: error message-running low on memory.

I receive this message when I put a DVD in.  Never before received this message.  About 2 weeks ago my system crashed and had to reinstall Windows and all the drivers.  I received a message of 'No DVD Decoder'.  So I installed and now I am getting this message.  I have plenty of memory because all that was on the computer prior to the crash is now gone.  And before the crash, I had no problems watching a DVD.  Any suggestions?  I have run a defrag and scans hopeing this would help, but nothing.  Thanks all! 

16 Posts

June 7th, 2009 16:00

The only time I ever had a similar error was when my page file was too small.  Can you please post the amount of RAM installed, operating system and the size of the file c:\pagefile.sys (the page file).

3 Posts

June 7th, 2009 20:00

Windows Vista Home Basic, 1.00 GB RAM  540@1.86 GHz    and not sure of the size of the file, its the typical blockbuster movie.  Like I mentioned, I never encountered this before the system crashed.  I enjoyed watching movies on the computer cause I have really nice speakers.  Perfer this over my ancient TV.

16 Posts

June 8th, 2009 05:00

My appologies, I forgot to mention that the page file is a hidden system file.  Any way, easiest way to check on the amount of memory Windows and your other applications are using, and how much is available to use, is to start Task Manager.  If you go to the "Performance" tab in Task Manager, you should be able to see how much physical memory is in use,  the size of the page file and how much of the page file has been used.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2009 16:00

It says Physical Memory (MB) total is 1013, Cached is 331; Kernel Memory is 94, paged is 58 and non paged is 35; system handles 23016, threads 895, processes 71.  Does this help?  This is with a movie in the drive.  Thanks!

16 Posts

June 9th, 2009 06:00

Thanks.  You were on the right screen but missed the information I wanted the most.  In the same area of Task manager's "Performance" tab where you read off the number of system handles, threads and processes, you should also see an entry for Page File.  It will give you two numbers separated by a forward slash, for example 2679M/9138M (that's my page file specifications, your's won't have the same numbers).  Can you please post that information.

Everything you have posted in the previous message seems normal, so the page file size is the next possible source of the problem.

No Events found!